General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken frame slider.. any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken frame slider.. any ideas??

when i wreaked last week i also broke off my frame slider and tryed to easy-out the bolt that broke off in the bike frame but i think it just became more messed up... i tryed to get the whole thing out but i get a grip on it... ( i know doesnt make sence look at the pics)
any ideas of what to do? thanks for reading!

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...203091436a.jpg

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/w...0203091437.jpg

Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try a screw extractor.

Here are some:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...actor&sLevel=0

Even if you don't live near a Sears, you can always buy something like this at a Lowe's, HomeDepot, Harbor Freight Tools, Ace Hardware and many other places.

Most of these tools, you have to drill using the bit, the tap the screw extractor in after drilling using something light (just not as heavy as a hammer because that is too heavy to use, or if you use a hammer you need not bang as hard) and unscrew the broken screw out. There are some that you can reverse drill or use plyers.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM

yeah i tryed that and when i drilled it it messed it up more does anyone know if that whole bolt comes out of the frame of how that works?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes the whole bolt comes out. Youre on the right track, it doesnt look like you screwed it up any more than it was, unless when drilling the drill bit "walked" to the side of the bolt and damaged the threads in the frame. Get yourself a quality screw extractor "easy out" not some harbor freight junk cause it will likely snap off and you will be screwed, take the fairing off and using a small torch (like plumbers use to solder copper pipes) heat the frame around the bolt and start wrenching on the easy out. WEAR GLOVES you dont wanna slip and leave a couple layers of skin on your frame. lol. Good Luck. If all else fails, take it to your local "mom's n pop's" muffler shop, they'll probably do it for 20 bucks and a twelve pack.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

from what i can see in the pic you tried to use too small of an extractor try to find one a little larger and redrill & try again. +1 on removeing the plastics and some heat

Old 02-07-2009, 02:29 PM

ok thanks guys il give it a try

Old 02-07-2009, 07:07 PM

I cant tell in the photo but if you can get ahold of it with Vise Grips that will be your best shot at getting it out.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:27 PM

well the drill did walk over and ruin the outter bolt.. so how do i get the whole bolt out of the frame?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 PM

is there any other pics? its hard to tell what im looking at lol

Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 PM

its hard to get any better pics on that.. but theres is an outer bolt and a broken inner bolt that i tryed to drill out.. the fraing wont come over with out the outter bolt off but i cant get a grip on it so turn the outter bolt... hope that makes sence

Quick Reply: Broken frame slider.. any ideas??