General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

broken bearing is ceased in wheel. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 08:29 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: broken bearing is ceased in wheel. any suggestions?

Just swapped wheel bearings outthis weekin my girlfriends bike. I figured it was going to be easy like a cars... nope.

I tried every thing to get those bearings out. You want to know what works best? Patience. Patience and a nice, 8" long standard screwdriver.

Work your way around the bearing from the inside. All you have to do is small, "tap-tap" here, tap-tap there. Work your way around the entire bearing on the outer race. Takes some time but is perfect when you don't have the, "correct" tools.

Also, for driving the bearings back in, use a socket. BUT, you don't need a socket as big as the outer race on the bearing. Just get on that fits from the outer race on one side, to the inner race on the opposite side of the bearing. Use a pice of lumber to drive the bearing in initially, once it's seated flush with the wheel then you once again, use that socket and make small "tap-taps" around the outer race of that bearing. Work your way around it and it will seat like a charm, next thing you know you'll be greasing up your dust seals and sliding that axle through it.

I had a bitch of a time doing mine until I had a 50 year old buddy come by and show me the err of my youth. Those older cats are worth their wieght in gold when it comes to advice of almost any kind.

Especially when it comes to working your way around the fact that you don't have specialty tools.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:30 AM

Anything is possible with the proper tools, youll findyoull save you time and your knuckles.. You need a socket the size of the bearing race and a decent Press, ive found that if you beat it in you damage and or inproperly install it, the bearing could go in crooked!! As for getting the old Race out bearing puller..

Old 07-30-2007, 08:47 AM

well.. its done, i used a dremel and cut out a couple chunks of the old race, then eventually the screw driver got in between and seperated the race from the wheel. after i got it out i had to smooth out the inside of the wheel from the where the screwdriver had knicked it

Old 07-30-2007, 06:20 PM

Good job. As was said earlyer PATIENCE...[:@]