General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake & Tranny Weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake & Tranny Weirdness

This has happened a couple times now. When I brake really hard, the bike begins acting like its trying to pop out of gear. The shift lever feels like it does when you're trying to force it into a gear without the clutch. And the engine makes the same sort of noise.

Every time it has done this is when I've been braking during an emergency so I honestly have no idea what gear I was in when it was happening. Today's was when some b!tch pulled a uturn dead in front of me. I was on the brakes, both front and rear, so hard I locked the rear when it left the ground. Previously I thought I may have been resting my left foot on the shift lever, so I might have been trying to force the bike into a lower gear accidently. But today my foot wasn't on or below the shift lever.

This only happens during extremely hard braking. Bike shifts fine in any gear, up or down, at any RPM. It doesn't slip out of gear or give false neutrals. Any ideas?

Old 05-29-2010, 01:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you reffering to rear brake chatter? Basically, your rear is at the point of loosing traction. Its going from loosing it to gaining it. When this happens, your chain goes from top tension, to lower tension... Think of it this way. Your bike is on a rear stand, whith the bike in gear, roll the tire as far as you can one way, then the other...You'll notice the slack changes from top to bottom, and creates sort a clunk when the chain reaches full tension on either end. now, think if your bike rolling down the road, your rear tire is just at the point of locking up, and it locks for a spit second, the slack changes from bottom to top, the bike regains traction, the slack again changes... it does this extremely fast back and forth and you get chatter in the rear wheel that can transmit throughout the drivetrain.

Oh, and this usually happens with a lot of front brake. the rear becomes light and allows it to happen.

If thats not what you are reffering too, sorry. I don't fully understand what your question is..

Old 05-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

During this heavy braking, do you recall if you pulled in on the clutch lever too ? If not, remember your engine is still trying to move the bike forward and your brakes are trying to stop the bike and engine. Lots of stress going on for the engine. Probably just normal sounds for an extreme situation.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 AM

Heh like I said, I was kinda busy trying not to t-bone a bitch.

justasquid: that's possible cause this last time I did lift the rear end off the ground a bit (scary first time). Brake practice paying off since I didn't lock or grab a handful of front

IDoDirt: also possible. Most my attention was focused on the my side (right foot and hand). Honestly don't remember if I grabbed the clutch or even downshifted from 2nd.

Will have to find a stretch of road and try to repeat it when I'm not so focused on the cage in front of me.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:44 PM

stop getting into so many emergencies

Old 05-29-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by dmcb2120
stop getting into so many emergencies
Drive thru South Philly daily and see how you come out. If you come out

Old 05-29-2010, 03:23 PM

I drive through Detroit enough I'm sure I could fly threw Philly

Old 05-29-2010, 03:44 PM

I drive through Detroit enough I'm sure I could fly threw Philly
Whatever

Got a solution, idea or anything helpful to add? No? Great, go away

Old 05-29-2010, 04:36 PM

Yea I do, slow down and "stop getting into so many emergencies". I know I go faster then I should most of the time but never ever needed to stop so fast that my real tire comes up (on purpose). In your panic to stop there is no telling what levers or buttons your squeezing. No need to get offended over "stop getting into so many emergencies".

Old 05-29-2010, 05:13 PM

Yea I do, slow down and "stop getting into so many emergencies". I know I go faster then I should most of the time but never ever needed to stop so fast that my real tire comes up (on purpose). In your panic to stop there is no telling what levers or buttons your squeezing. No need to get offended over "stop getting into so many emergencies".
The assumption I was speeding is offensive. There is absolutely nothing to do but hit the brakes when some dumb bitch decides she missed the movie theater parking entrance and hammers a u-turn directly in front of me, blocking both my lanes of travel till she straightens out. Or the idiot mail carrier today that decided to pull out of a parking spot a car length in frony of me without checking anything or using a signal. Him, I dodged and hit the horn.

Since I don't practice stunts, I think being able to hit the front brake hard enough to lift the rear and maintain control shows if anything I didn't panic.

Quick Reply: Brake & Tranny Weirdness