General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake help

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake help

Just purchased a 2007 cbr600. The brake fluid was all brown. So i attempted to bleed and Change the brake fluid but this was my first time doing it. When I went back to riding I felt like the brakes were even worse than before. I couldn’t lock up the front even if I slammed all the way. Is there something I’m missing? How is the cbr front brake suppose to feel? Is it supposed to be a easy pull without increasing intensity as the depth increases? The brake pads look like they have plenty left along with the seller telling me he just replaced them before selling. Anything special I need to do for the double rotors on the front end?

Old 11-23-2017, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi , did you bleed it old school , or use a bought bleeder, it can take some time to get all the air bubbles out, and it sounds like you have some trapped

Old 11-23-2017, 03:28 AM

I just bought a kit that had a few parts I didn’t know what were for. I just used the bottle and the hose. How does one get out trapped bubbles? I went through like a total of 3 of the resovoirs.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

To start with , fill res with fuid,have a small ring spanner ready for the nipple attach pipe to nipple other end into bottle/jar, have enough fluid in jars to see bubbles, undo nipple on nearest caliper first , start to pump keeping fluid topped up , but make sure you keep your lever pulled in while your doing it, once you see no bubbles in the bottle keep the lever pulled in and tighten the nipple, repeat this on the other caliper, and for good measure repeat the process from the start

Old 11-23-2017, 11:01 AM

To add onto what CaBaRedt said, I was always taught to bleed the caliper furtherest from the master cylinder. I don't know what those exact calipers look like but I know some have 2 bleeders per caliper when they have pistons on each side. When I helped my friend bleed his GSXR we started on the clutch side caliper doing the outer bleeder and worked our way towards the throttle side.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:43 PM

So I bled it up by the master cylinder and there was a good air bubble up there. However after getting that stiff feel I took it for a test ride and after a good few braking tests the front end locked up. No way to move the bike had to have a friend come and relieve the pressure in the master cylinder and rode it rear brakes back home. What did I do wrong? How much of the brake should I be pulling when bleeding rhe master?

Old 11-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Hi ,when you bled the Master Cylinder, did you then go to the calipers and bleed them

Old 11-23-2017, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Explodingwombat
What did I do wrong?
Stock brake lever, or an aftermarket job?

Old 11-25-2017, 06:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LemonyGuy
To add onto what CaBaRedt said, I was always taught to bleed the caliper furtherest from the master cylinder.
Yes always start from the farthest from master cylinder.
I am not sure why the brakes will be stuck. Can't think of a reason calipers in newly bled system won't return.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Is it possible that you dislodged some old debris that blocked the master cylinder?

Quick Reply: Brake help