General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bondo dent puller?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bondo dent puller?

Hey guys. Newbie here. I need some help. I bought my F4i in Dec and I love it. But there's this tennis ball size dent right around the top right hand corner of my tank pad. I just bought a ProGrip tank pad so I wanna see if I can pull this dent out before I put the new pad on. Would a Bondo dent puller be good for this? I'm afraid that 1) it won't work...or worse 2) it pulls the dent, but messes up my paint. Any suggestions? (PS - the previous owner said he got a quote from a mechanic to hammer the dent out for $100).

Thanks,

Ron

Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 AM

Ohh, one more thing, there are no creases or visible damage in and around the dent area. Any help would be welcome.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Just go to a local body shop and let them look at it. They don't just "hammer" The dent out, it's a whole process. Find one that does "painless dent repair."

Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 PM

Thanks NTX. LOL. No, I didn't think they would just hammer the dent our (bad choice of words on my part). I've researched a few DIY methods online (glue & stick, compressed air, "hammering", even dry ice). I'm gonna try to find a guy who does paintless dent repairs here in Toronto area. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

Be careful with what you find on the internet for dent removal. Your dealing with gas, not just normal dents like you would find on a fender or door of a car. Even with the gas tank emptied, there are still fumes present that will ignite easily. Compressed air can cause static electricity in the right conditions, and can cause a spark. Not to mention compressing gas is never a good thing. I would keep anything hot away from the tank.

Also, the metal on the tank is much thicker than that of car panel. It will require someone that knows what they are doing to get it out.

So, as already stated, look for a professional with this one.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 AM

Thanks. You pretty much summed up all my concerns. I was feeling pretty brave there for a bit...but common sense has gotten to me. lol. This working on your bike thing is pretty addictive. I might need an intervention at some point.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Intervention!? You don't need no stinkin intervention!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:02 PM

Haha. Thanks but the girlfriend would disagree. Apparently, I already spend too much time working on the bike, cleaning it, and riding around with the boys. I didn't have the heart (or *****) to tell her "wait til I actually know what I'm doing". Maybe she has a point though. Just read your post on keyless ignition...and it concerning that it all started to make sense to me. lol. Great post though!!

Old 04-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

haha when you feel confident enough and /or you trust yourself enough, get her on your passenger seat. I did that with mine and she stopped complaining about it. Conversely though now she is always comlainng about how the bike isn't running or how its raining. So I guess its always gonna be something.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:46 PM

I'm a pdr tech,I'd like to see a pic of the damaged area. Motorcycle tanks are pretty thick,however I have successfully fixed a few.

Quick Reply: Bondo dent puller?