General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blue fuel? What is going on in my bike???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue fuel? What is going on in my bike???

OK, the rabbit hole keeps getting deeper. I have had a problem where my '91 F2 would quit on me after riding the freeway for 10-15 mins. The problem has been getting progressivly worse to the point where the bike doesn't want to start and is missing pretty bad. I crack the throttle at idle and it dies. Pull it apart to check my plugs, as it was missing and logically I check them. They were fouled. Replaced them, easy enough. This is where it gets wierd...

I pull the tank to the side and decide to flush it out in case there was sediment in there plugging the fuel from getting to where it's going. I take a hose to it and blue comes flowing out the bottom of the tank. BLUE?!? It stains pretty good, as it is still on my hands after soap and water. Poured fuel in the tank and swished it around. More blue. Not just a hint of blue, but like I kept one of those blue toliet pucks in my tank to keep it blue.

So the plugs are replaced and the tank is flushed out clean. Still same problem. Idles like crap and dies when you touch the throttle.

Any ideas?

Also, I went to get some plugs from the Honda dealer and they upsold me a fuel filter. Can't find anyplace to put this damn thing. The fuel line from the tank to the intake is maybe 6" at best and no where to put the thing. It's a plastic inline style filter. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned
Default RE: Blue fuel?

Should be able to fit that filter in there...

I thought you were going to be asking about racing fuel but what you've got going on is a first for me.

Hopefully someone else will chime in soon enough.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:54 PM

I dunno, there isn't any stock one that I can see, unless I'm just stupid or something. Also, dumb question, but where is the fuel pump?

I know cars pretty good, but I'm lost when it comes to bikes.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

only blue fuel i know of is race gas . if you were using a high enough octane (here you can get 110 from the pump) it might make your bike fun funny if teh carb isnt adjusted right

Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 AM

91 Octane at the regular gas station

Compared to a special gas station, I suppose?

And after flushing thuroughly with both the hose and gasoline, it now seems to be clear.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:43 AM

Did you put the fuel in from a gas can from the garage? Is there any chance you put mixed fuel in that you use for your two stroke lawn equipment? Two stroke has a dark, blue, greenish color. I can certainly see fouling and rough running from that.

Old 05-03-2008, 03:58 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

^^ he is absolutely right.. i see it all day at work. people put 2 cycle mix into 4 cycle products. if that is the case then you better hope you havent already wasted the carbs .

Old 05-03-2008, 06:05 PM

2 stroke mix in a 4 stroke motor won't destroy didly, it'll just make it run like crap. To be safe, Run a bit of seafoam or fuel line cleaner of your choice, and it should clear up. Basically, running 2 stroke in a 4 stroke motor is like running diesel or kerosene, the oil content makes it harder for the fuel to burn. It will not mist into the cylinder head as it should, thus creating a less efficient (crappy running) detonation.