General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike won't start with starter button

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike won't start with starter button

Well I heard a loud pop when I was trying to get my fuel pump to work. Since then al the lights dim when I hit the starter button. I have new starter solenoid and battery. I have not chechecked the starter button and the starter button never gave me a problem. I going to checheck the starter button then starter I guess. No sound when I press the starter button.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:50 AM
Welcome Crew

what model of cbr do you have,
the starter relay on some models is situated near the battery and is fused, first of check the fuse and all your other fuses, (see picture for relay) if the fuse is blown change and try again, if the fuse is ok then the relay maybe at fault or the loud pop may have been the relay, if you have some electrical knowledge you can bypass the relay to make the starter spin BUT MAKE SURE YOU USE A FUSED LINK in heavy duty cable just in case. if this works you need a new relay.

Attached Thumbnails bike won't start with starter button-31-uunnrdal._sx355_.jpg  
Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having similar problems.

Wheelnut, you may have answered the question on my thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:45 AM
Welcome Crew

hope you both get your bikes sorted

Old 02-05-2014, 03:29 PM

Think I found the problem the contact spring would not compress in the run switch was burnt a bit. I saw sparks when I messed with it so I.was like a ha. Gonna mess with after I get my kid from school. Think after I reassemble it should start.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:00 PM

No dice fellas sure as I put it back together nothing happened. I can jump the starter itself. But the starter solenoid is new, new fuse too. So um guessing the whole assembly is bad. Any ideas anyone?

Old 02-05-2014, 06:12 PM

Well I did the both terminals test it passed bike tried to kick over. Passed the starter test too tried to turn over the bike.Noticed the positive terminal had some rubber melted into the positive terminal. Other than that terminal I am stuck too tracing bad ground or getting another terminal.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 AM
Welcome Crew

if the relay turned the bike over when bridged it sounds like the relay is the fault, by all means check and clean the earths and also check the wiring to and from the relay to make sure it hasnt split or broken , but before fitting the new relay ensure you take the live feed off the battery before fitting to save any sparks or surges

Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM

Well that is the thing.its a new starter solenoid. I just ordered it last week and it still would not turn over the bridging of two terminal would.suggest its the relay. The fuse is good in the old relay, niether the new relay or old one look burnt. So um stumped.

Old 02-06-2014, 06:14 PM

Well thanks for the replies every one. It turned out to be the simplest thing. I changed out the starter solenoid first, second juicy battery, and the final hat trick a bad fuse!!!!!! Yep I was so relieved and mad at my self again for not checking the starter/kill switch fuse that did it. Well now to clean the tank out, line it and ride like nobodies business.

Quick Reply: bike won't start with starter button