General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start after replacing fuel tee o-rings

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start after replacing fuel tee o-rings

I am the original owner of a 2000 CBR600F4 and I have done all my own maintainence including previously removing my carbs for a cleaning.

Anyway after 13 years the o-rings went in the fuel tees to the carbs (gas was pooring out); bike was running fine otherwise. I removed carbs, seperated the carbs, replaced o-rings, re-assembled carbs and bench synched. Re-installed carbs (without airbox) and attempted to start the bike, started a few times and died figured issues with the idle and the fact that I was flooding the carb by not having the airbox on. I removed and cleaned the sparkplugs (only couple hundred miles on them), checked that they were getting spark changed oil due to flooding and this time put the airbox on....bike will NOT start !! Fuel is pooring into carbs collecting on top of butterflies and you can hear it pooring down. At this point I have stopped trying to start it and figured something went wrong during the carb removal. I also tried starter fluid with no luck.

Can the carbs be getting too much fuel ? I did not dissassemble the carbs just separated them. Any help or suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Old 08-29-2013, 10:23 PM

Looks like I messed up. Been a couple years since I pulled the carbs and I had a similiar issue (read my previous posts) that the carbs were getting too much air w/o the airbox and lines installed properlly. Hooked them up and the bike started for a few secs....but now it won't again.....think it is pretty flooded. Will try again tomorrow; might have to pull the plugs again.

Last edited by y2k600f4; 08-29-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:08 AM

Before you go taking out the spark plugs, try this: Hold the throttle wide open and then try to start the engine. This will nearly always clear any flooding that you may have caused previously. Once the engine starts back off the throttle but let the engine rev a little higher than idle. It worked on all my other bikes and cars I've owned in the past, so it's worth a try! Good luck.