General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start!

Okay, so here's the deal. Got bike mid street fighter, ran fine, I should have gotten it tagged then, but didn't, stupidly dove right in like I was a project expert then lost my job and havent had much luck relying on friends to come help me and haven't had the money for a shop.

So! I had stripped the wiring harness, screwed it up, blabla, bought new wiring harness, swapped harnesses and now the bike starts to crank over but wont go all the way.

Name:  oldharness.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  159.6 KB

I have talked to a few people and looked up some stuff and it seems that it should be:

-Battery - Bought new battery, old one was sitting for 6 mths no tender.
-Wiring - Everything seems to be hooked up exactly as it should be except for the gauges... I'll get to this in a sec.
-Starter? - I read something about start relay / junction box relay, not sure what to do with this. If this is the red terminal to battery, I even tried swapping back to one on old harness
- Spark Plugs.. My grandfather suggested this and probably going to try this this weekend..

Also, this piece looks like crap and not even sure what it is if someone could let me know ...

Name:  badplugs.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  157.7 KB

Leads to..

Name:  notevensure.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  133.8 KB

Not sure if that could be a potential problem either..

Now with the gauges, I don't have any hooked up atm.. When I got the bike the guy had an F4i gauge swap done, but I tore it all up and wanted to throw some TrailTech Vapors on it anyway, and now that I have the new wiring harness with the stock gauge harness, I'm wondering if I HAVE to get a stock gauge to even pass inspection here in Delaware... And then if so, why bother swapping to the TrailTech if it will screw wires up and fail inspection in two years..

Also, down the road I want to get the LSL conversion, a Sonic Headlight from BKMoto.com and reroute the wiring harness through the center. And then next year I want to get the frame green headlight green, black gas tank, and new black tail plastics since mine are cracked a bit.

Anyways, here's what the bike looks like now, sittin kinda ugly with the wiring nest and not running but just awaiting to be sprinkled with love.. And DEFINITELY ready to be ridden =P Thanks to anyone with input on what to do!!

Name:  cbr.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  46.8 KB

Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 PM

When you say starts to turn but then wont go do you mean it starts to crank then stops? or cranks but wont fire up?

The only thing that looks wrong with that piece is that those two terminals on the right should be shrink wrapped so the dont touch.

I did the f4i gauge swap and i pass inspection fine. the digital guage is DEFINATELY way more awesome than the stock f3.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM

Well that little Triple Set of prongs looks all burnt up and ****, but when you say shrink wrap what do you mean? And what does this go too, could that even be a possible problem?

And I mean it goes click click click and then at one point is starting to putt putt putt and even had some smoke comin from the exhaust, but it dies out as soon as I give it the slightest of throttle.

As far as the F4I gauges, I was looking for something smaller to be cleaner when I get the LSLs + Headlight, that's why I went ahead and got the TrailTech Vapor, just have to find out if I need the stock ones for inspection or what...

Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM

Well if you got fire already then you know at least 1 cylinder is firing lol. Try fresh gas, and maybe some starting fluid. make sure the wires to the coils are in the correct order, other your timing will be off.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:24 AM

Hey guys, didn't get a chance to do anything this weekend, busy and broke, but definitely going to try the fresh gas + starter fluid some time this week... I really hope it's something that simple! I'll let you guys know how it goes, and if it fails I'm going to upload a video of attempting to start and see if you guys pick up on anything from that.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by F3NGS
Well that little Triple Set of prongs looks all burnt up and ****, but when you say shrink wrap what do you mean? And what does this go too, could that even be a possible problem?

And I mean it goes click click click and then at one point is starting to putt putt putt and even had some smoke comin from the exhaust, but it dies out as soon as I give it the slightest of throttle.

As far as the F4I gauges, I was looking for something smaller to be cleaner when I get the LSLs + Headlight, that's why I went ahead and got the TrailTech Vapor, just have to find out if I need the stock ones for inspection or what...
it could be a CDI defect.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:54 PM

CDI defect? What would that mean / what would I do to fix that?

Either way though, i'll be taking it to my grandfathers coworker on Tuesday and having him take a look at it. Hoping he says he can get her running, as well as possibly reroute the harness or something so when I get my headlight it will be much cleaner than having that wiring nest in the front.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:59 AM

its a common problem with older bike, it can't be fixed and even if u replaces the plugs etc. u still cant' escape with this parts when it worn out , u need to replace it..

Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 AM

u must drain the gas from the carbs bowl before u start up the bike.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:12 PM

Well apparently the bike is runnin! He said the connectors to the fuel pump were going bad, but its running fine now and that worse case I may need a new fuel pump if it starts acting up again.

I'll post pics when I get it back, he still has to hook up the gauge and he said he cleaned up the wiring harness, so I'm pretty excited to see what he did. Now I can't wait to get the headlight to pretty her up for a bit till I have money to do the other things I want.

Quick Reply: Bike won't start!