General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike wont start 02 f4i please help everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike wont start 02 f4i please help everyone

k so i crashed my bike last summer and have just gotten around to fixing it
(procrastinator i know:/)
so i tear into it and fix everything was messed up mostly the front end
no heres the problem
i cant get the bike to start it will turn over just fine and dandy but wont fire up
then i got it to fire up but it immediatly dies when i let go of the start button and in order to keep it running i have to keep the start button held down which then it runs fine
but now i cant get it to start anymore
sometimes the injectors squirt fuel and sometimes they dont
and sometimes i have fuel and sometimes i dont
i have the tip over senor bypassed with a paperclip in the 2 outer pins which should bypass the tip over sensor right?
everytime i turn the bike to run the back brake side relay keeps clicking unless i plug in the headlight which then it doesnt click anymore
i still cant get the fuel pump to prime but then sometimes it does prime after doing nothing
when the bike does start and run while holding the starter switch the headlights dont stay on ?
so everytime this relay in the back of the bike keeps clicking i notice my gauge cluster backlight dims and goes back to normal on every click

i can get the fuel pump to prime like normal if i jump the connector and pull it off really quick and then it will stop the clicking until i try to start the bike and it starts clicking again
i can also leave the jumper in that relay and have the fuel pump just keep priming while im trying to start the bike but the injectors wont squirt

someone please help im stumped on ideas
anyone know whats going on here? i really really need this bike to work and all help will be greatly appreciated

Old 12-05-2010, 12:06 AM

i also have a power commander hooked up to the bike and the battery is shot so im using a starter box on it to start it
is that alright?

Old 12-05-2010, 12:55 AM

i also have a power commander hooked up to the bike and the battery is shot so im using a starter box on it to start it
is that alright?
I think that is probably your issue. The bike needs the battery in order to run. Bikes are not like cars and they cannot run on their own alternator power, they run off the battery. thats the first thing I would do is buy a good battery. Also, you don't want to put too many amps into the battery. I wouldn't suggest anything over10 amps, and only for a short period of time. 2amps is about the most you really want to charge the battery with.

when the bike does start and run while holding the starter switch the headlights dont stay on
As long as the starter button is engaged, it shuts off the headlights. thats normal.

depending on how bad it was crashed, you could have pinched or shorted wires as well. Also, the paper clip may not have enough continuity to properly bypass the BAS. I would suggest making a proper jumper wire with plugs that will plug into the connectors.

From the sounds of the starter relay clicking, the bad battery. I would say most, if not all of your issues are due to the bad battery. of course, its a crashed bike, so it could be anything, but rule out the battery first.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:31 AM

thanks for all your info man
i will go get a battery tommorow
but when im using the jumper box i have kept it on high when starting the bike and i have it hooked to the wires on the bike so idk if thats good or bad
any other answers guys
why cant i get the spark plugs to spark or the fuel to squirt and why does it randomly sometimes work?

when i got it to run the only way i could keep it running was with holding the starter switch isnt that weird?

Old 12-05-2010, 02:39 AM

when im using the jumper box i have kept it on high when starting the bike and i have it hooked to the wires on the bike so idk if thats good or bad
So there is no battery at all? just the jumper?

If thats the case, the bike won't start because there isnt a battery there. A jumper does not have enough amps to allow the bike to crank over, run the ignition, run the fuel pump.... basically all of the demands the battery supplies. A battery for a bike will usually have about 200 amps at its disposal, which is far higher than a jumper can provide. In all honesty, i'm suprised your getting the bike to do anything at all, let alone start.

Also, don't continue to use only a jumper. It can cause damage to the electonics that are designed to run on 12 volt, constant amps. With the amps spiking as they probably have been, you may already damaged some of the electronics.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:33 AM

yikes
thanks for the info
yea its a big battery starter/charger thing though but i can see where running that big thing on my bike is bad for it
hopefully i didnt mess up the ecu
is there any way to test the ecu and see if its good?

Old 12-09-2010, 02:23 AM

so i got a new battery for it and when i turn the key the fuel pump turns on and the injectors squirt yayayayyy
but now heres the problem its not getting spark now
i had the map sensor unplugged and the top airbox sensor off
and the f1 light blinked either 1 long and 9 short or 1 short and 9 short
after i plugged in those two sensors it still didnt start and i didnt get any f1 codes
i pulled the plug wires and im not getting spark and no f1 codes so idk even where to start
could i of screwed something up trying to start it with the battery jumper box constantly?

help guys its almost there

Old 12-22-2010, 06:18 AM

bump

Old 12-22-2010, 06:56 AM

Have you checked your wiring harnesses? One pin not making good contact can keep the bike from starting and or running.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:33 PM

ill check them thank you

Quick Reply: bike wont start 02 f4i please help everyone