General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike wont run and i got my license test tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike wont run and i got my license test tomorrow.

Well I went to hop on my bike today and got an unpleasant surprise. The bike will start and idle, but if i give it any gas it just dies. The petcock is turned to on. I dont know if maybe one of my fuel lines is pinched r clogged? I looked and they look fine. Bike ran fine yesterday and all i did was park it. My battery is pretty much dead though - and this morning being cold it took a few cranks to get started. Then it died and I had to push start it to get it going again. Could this be the problem? I dont understand WHY that would be the problem. It was idling for like minutes (usually i only need the choke on for about 20-30 seocnds before i can ride)

Just went home for lunch and now it wont even idle when i push start it. It will turn on (push start) and go for a few seconds then just die. Its as if there is no gas, but my tank is FULL, and the lines are properly hooked up and working. Going to get a new battery tonight...does anyone know if a dead battery could cause it too act this way? The fan runs, and it will crank SUPER SLOW (so there is some juice, just not enough to start it) So once its started it should run normal right? at least thats what i would think?

Any ideas let me know - gotta fix it by tomorrow morn cause i gotta dirve 2hrs to go take my License Test. Thanks

Old 08-16-2005, 05:56 PM
Default RE: bike wont run and i got my license test tomorrow.

get that new battery on there...should do the trick..let us know what happens

Old 08-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Default RE: bike wont run and i got my license test tomorrow.

Put new battery in (70 f'n dollars!!!) And it runs - but still messed up. It was doing like before - would idle for a while but even the slightest hair touch of the throttle would bog down and kill it - as if no gas was getting to carbs. Was running kind of weird yesterday too.... So i sat with the choke on for like 10 minutes and it would rev high when choke first applied, then just cut down to barely running at all and die. So after bout 20 minutes of this crap it got to where it would rev up a little and then bog down, and after another 10 minutes I got it to rev a little. So i went to drive it and AS SOON as i out it in gear it would die. No matter what rpm. So heres the WEIRD part... the tank is FULL 100% full, if I have the petcock set down to run it will just idle and thats it, if i turn it to reserve the bike runs fine. It revs up good and runs good. But a couple times when i would punch it or give it alittle more gas it would bog down and sound real starved for gas then kind of slowly build up and then would reve up like normal after a few seconds. Also it sometimes will take a few secs for the revs to drop after i let off the throttle at stoplights and what not.

When i first got the bike the float was sticking a bit. I took off the air box and tapped on the cup that houses the float with a screw driver and it has ridden great ever since with excellent throttle response and no problems. Could this be the same thing. Its just wierd though that it runs fine on reserve and not on open.

Also, I filed up with some BP gas the other day, and from what I've heard from a lot of people BP adds additives to their gas and it doesnt mix well with a lot of other gasses and can cause problems. So if you dont use BP, than dont ever use bp, and if you do use bp then use only bp. I have used bp in my car before and its been allright, but my cars also a 2002 fuel injected fairly new motor, not a 10 year old carbuerated bike motor. Anyone know anything else about this?

I hope it works tomorrow - got a 2 hr freeway ride to go take my license exam and last thing i need is to get stuck on the freeway with no ride and no trailer.

Thanks to anyone with any advice. I'm gonna go take the airbox off and tap on the float cups to see if thats it. (very technical you see )