General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike kicks out of second gear...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike kicks out of second gear...

Hello, i have a 02 honda 954rr. all my other gears are fine, but when i shift into 2nd it kicks out. Why does it do this? Would it be an easy fix? Im not very sure but for now i just shift to third.. any help would be great

Thanks

Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 AM

u should post this in the 954 section, but my guess is a bent shifting fork. mine did the same thing except fourth gear... it was my old ugly street fighter so i sold it. dunno how hard it would be to fix

Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, sounds like a bent or worn shift fork. On the 1000rr it's not too bad but on older models you have to split the cases to get to it. Not sure about the 954. Post up over there and one of those guys would know for sure.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:59 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking that it was a worn dogs on the gear. Either way, you'll have to get in and look at the tranny.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:48 PM

yeah i posted over in the 954 section, know one knew lol thanks for all the help.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 PM

Im not sure of your experience, so I don't mean to offend, but second gear takes more amount of force to get over netural and into gear than the others. It could be just not put in hard enough. If your using just plain shoes and not riding boots, you may not be getting a good shift.

I doubt thats it, but I've seen new riders do it, so I thought I would throw it out there. If it only does it time to time, it very well may be your just not getting it into gear with a good enough shift. if your not wearing boots, try wearing boots and see if the problem disapears.

I think you have to split the engine case on that bike as i dont think they started the removeable transmission unitl 04 with the 1000rr. So the job is pretty big. If your mechanically inclined, you may want to take in. the issue is it will probably cost 1 grand to fix a 50 dollar part.

It could a bent shift fork, but also could be a chipped gear. its pretty common as most people clutch up second gear wheelies and after time, it takes its toll on the gear. If it is a gear issue, it should kick out just about everytime you put power down. If it happens right after you put in gear, but you are able to reput it in and it stays, its probably either your shifting, or a bent fork.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 AM

ok, well everytime i put it into 2nd it pops out after i accelerate a little. im hoping it isnt to major, i found a new transmission on ebay for 150. hoping i can replace it.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
Thumbs up

Justasquid was reading my mind again as usual, and he was first to respond, (again, as usual), but I have to do what I usually do when that happens, which is: respond anyway.

I had this same thing happen to me when I first started riding my CBR, and while it didn't happen EVERY TIME I shifted, it did happen fairly often. It used to happen to me from fifth to sixth gear as well. Then I wore STEEL TOE BOOTS, and the problem went away Right Now. When I flick my foot up, (or down, for that matter) there is a succinct and immediate "click" response from my shift lever telling me she's in gear.

I suggest before you start tearing sh*t apart, you put on some decent footwear and give it one more go...

Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 AM

ok, thanks for the responses... gonna try boots. will post my results...

Old 01-07-2010, 08:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with justasquid and shadow. Sturdy footwear goes a long way with smooth shifting. Hope that's all it is.

Quick Reply: Bike kicks out of second gear...