General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike has not ran for 2 years

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike has not ran for 2 years

First post. Just picked up a 01' 929RR, from a Marine. He kept it in his garage for almost 2 years. So was wondering on the process of resurrecting this beast. Plan on draining the gas, getting a new battery and then trying to start it. Lmk what yall think of this, or what else I can do to make this thing easier to start. Thanks alot!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 PM

did it run before he stored it? if so, you should be good with the list you put up, however i would go on and change the oil. Great news for you is that with fuel injection your better off than a carb bike sitting for two years...fresh gas , new battery , and fresh oil. turn key and listen for the fuel pump to prime, fire that bad boy up...if performance is poor , add some seafoam feul treatment and run it , it will start to breakdown any crap in the injectors...good luck brother...my 01 929 is the baddest bike Ive ever rode, wicked stong, very flickable, and the front wheel is in the air at a flick...peece

Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tires, tires, tires! If the bike sat on its tires in the exact same spot for 2 years, you may need to toss the tires regardless of how old they are. They may have developed flat spots or have lost some flex in those areas.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:34 PM

There were no prior problems. I plan on changing the oil after I get it to start. Good note on the tires, they look brand new! but I'm definitely going to take another look. Thanks for the confidence, about to get to work.

Old 09-09-2010, 08:06 PM

fuel pump wont prime =P,

Old 09-09-2010, 08:32 PM

is the switch in the on position?

Old 09-09-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bambam
is the switch in the on position?
Yes sir. Going to check the FP relay tomorrow and tip sensor. When I turn it on and off I hear a faint click on and a few seconds latter it clicks again.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:05 AM

good place to start... is your battery fully charged? note these bikes will not start with a weak charge, unlike a carb bike that needs fuel and spark, FI bikes wont act right even 10 v. If my 929's battery gets too weak , ill get the same "faint click" with no fuel pump prime.,You mention tip sensor, was the bike layed down? Any way , sounds like your on the right track, if you rule out all the simple stuff, checking the relay for power is a good start. Peece

Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 AM

Is it a new battery?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:35 PM

Yes, brand new battery. Has a really strong crank. I got a charger too, but crank has not got weak enough for me to need to charge it again.

Quick Reply: bike has not ran for 2 years