General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear forks help please!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear forks help please!

Hi, I'm currently reassembling a 96 cbr 600 f3 engine and I need help making sure I have the gear drum and forks installed correctly. Here is a pic in neutral.How can I tell if it right or not?

Old 03-13-2018, 09:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Without being a “***” ,I would crack open a diagram of “ your engine” first! You can always put the transmission gears in and move them by hand. If I remember correctly they only line up one way.(the gear).

Old 03-14-2018, 02:27 PM

I have a Haynes manual. When I bolted the shift star to the drum bearing it has a dowl pin that's suppose to line up with a hole on the back of the star. I tried lining them up and bolted it on. I'm just not sure if the dowl pin is in the right hole because their is more then on hole on the back of the star. How do I know if it's right? Look at the pic. It will show the back of the star where all the holes are. The dowl pin is suppose to go in one of them. But with multiple holes the dowl pin could go in any one of them.

Old 03-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't know your particular bike, but in similar Honda engines the dowel should correspond to the point that is different from the others (ie the one that looks like it's been cut out)

Before sealing the cases make sure to test-fit and ensure that it shifts fine by hand. You might need to wiggle some parts with your fingers or rotate the engine slightly to get the various gears to line up, but it's the best way to make sure

Old 03-15-2018, 12:03 AM
hk3

Originally Posted by Cbr900rz
I have a Haynes manual. When I bolted the shift star to the drum bearing it has a dowl pin that's suppose to line up with a hole on the back of the star. I tried lining them up and bolted it on. I'm just not sure if the dowl pin is in the right hole because their is more then on hole on the back of the star. How do I know if it's right? Look at the pic. It will show the back of the star where all the holes are. The dowl pin is suppose to go in one of them. But with multiple holes the dowl pin could go in any one of them.
This is the excerpt from the service manual

Hope that helps.

Attached Thumbnails Gear forks help please!-dowel.png