General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike died under heavy braking

Old 04-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike died under heavy braking

While playing a "fun" game of dodge-a-car today, my bike died.

I was able to jump it and limp home, but the battery appears to now be totally dead. I'm going to go through the charging system diagnosis without a doubt, but my question is . . .

What killed the bike during really heavy braking.

My theory is that the kickstand may have came down enough to trigger the kill and then that caused a short in the system (no blown fuses) which zapped the battery.

OR . . . my battery dying was just a coincidence. My usual riding style doesn't take the rpms above 5k all that much . . . I'm a low rpm guy from my years on a big bore V-twin cruiser, so I tend to shift around 5k rpm except for those occasional bursts of speed, and then I cruise around 3-4k rpm around town.

Also, my dash has been having electical problems . . . I made a post in the 929 section about that.

Love to hear anything suggestions about what/where to check. Or theories about what happened.

Thanks!

Old 04-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short?

You know you have electrical problems. A short could be the source of them. A hard brake could have grounded out the short. And if you do have a short, it could have been draining your battery.

I had a short on my F3 at the starter relay. Bike would sometimes be completely dead when I went to start it. Couple thumps with my finger and she'd fire up. Provided the battery wasn't dead from draining into the frame

Old 04-23-2010, 07:27 PM

Any suggestions on where to look for that short that grounded out during a hard brake? Any common shorts that happen? I really have no clue what to look for.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd start with the kick stand switch idea first , how old is that battery ? is it wet cell ?

Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 AM

No clue on the battery, I'm gonna take it in and see if they can tell me if it's dead or not.

The terminals are squeeky clean though, so I'm thinking it's not very old.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:34 PM

Okay, charged the battery and bike is running just fine. I'm just gonna ride it harder to make sure that battery is getting recharged and see how that goes for me.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:33 AM

i had a similar problem ... bike would die if i was braking down a hill

the bike woulden't crank over even thou i had a new battery .... lights would dim when it was on

bike would bogg and and often die if i gave it gas below 2000 rpm

bike read 14.1 V on a multimeter for all of .5s and then it would drop to 11.8V and stay there even if I revved the engine.

any who long story short ... needed a new Rectifier/ Regulator

223$ b/c i got the OEM part cause i had no time to wait for the 100$ aftermarket one to be ordered lol

10 minutes to install new one

end of bike problem.

hope this helps

Old 04-26-2010, 11:43 AM

I was out riding one day, stopped for a bit, then turned the key and absolutley nothing happened. Popped the seat off and found my bateery cable was loose. You took the battery out had it checked and then re-installed it right? and you said you it was running fine now? could have been a loose connection for you too! Hope it was that simple for you and you dont have to buy any new parts!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:34 PM

This sounds very

very

very

very

very

much like a fault in your charging system. Most likely your R\R has gone bad (this is incredibly common). Troubleshoot using this:

http://www.offwidth.co.uk/bike/gener...lt_finding.pdf

If it IS your R\R, don't replace it with another old Honda one.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:58 AM

It was not a loose cable. After the hard brake, the battery was DEAD.

I believe it may be a R/R issue, I went through half of the charging system diagnostic guide but stopped right after testing leakage. I didn't have time to take off any plastics.

I noticed that you are using a 07 Yamaha, is there a guide on here as to what R//R I should use and how to switch it out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike died under heavy braking