General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bike buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 06:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike buying advice

Not sure where to put this post but...A friend of mine is looking into getting a bike. The only problem is he has never ridden a street bike. What advice should I give him about what to buy. I don't want to steer him into a bike he can't handle. Start off with something like a cheaper 250 or 500, or go straight for a f4 or 600rr. I sure don't want to suggest anything larger than that. And yes, he wants a sportbike. Any suggestions?

Old 02-17-2006, 09:43 AM
Default RE: bike buying advice

I had never ridden a bike till I got mine. I got an 05 600rr. I feel that if you are careful while learning that you ought to get something that you can enjoy when you get better. Not just learn on it and then sell it. Also I had a friend that has ridden for a long time that went with me for the first few times to show me the ropes.

Side Note....
I am sure if Tahoe comments on this he will say something like, "get something that will hold a 300lb chick." so you might not want to listen to him.

Get Frame Sliders before he rides.... (not that I got to put it too the test, yet...)

Old 02-17-2006, 10:17 AM

Definitely get something in the mid range, for a first bike. 500 is a great starting platform, something that doesn't have a lot of high end torque. Once he is confident on it the he can trade up to something bigger. I have seen a few guys get bikes that are way to big for them and they either crash it or become afriad of riding in general, basically the scare the crap out of themselves because they don't know what to do with the power. Have you buddy look into a riding school, it should enstill all the confidence he is going to need to be a safe rider.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:49 AM

It all depends on the person and what they have done before. Any motocross or quads? I rode dirt bikes when I was younger, then I got into mountain bikes and then rode quads a few times, mostly banshees so they were pretty quick. Then I wanted to get a bike and found a '95 ZX7 that was the right price and thats what I started out on and I felt fine with the power, yeah it was a hell of a rush at first but I got used to it. I have only been riding for a short time and still have to work on a few things, but I'm in for good now and have alot better bike to get used to once it gets nice. I would say that if you think hes responsible enough to have a 600 then he should get it so he doesn't waste a bunch of money getting something that he probably would grow out of really soon. I know you can learn alot on a smaller bike because you can't count on the power to keep up with other riders, but you can always learn slow and be careful. Thats just my .02 and there is probably going to be someone saying that I'm compleatly off, but thats your opinion and I won't argue with you.

-Jesse-

BTW make sure that he plans on getting gear too. If he can't afford it and is borrowing money for the bike have him take out a few hundred more to get a good helmet, jacket, and gloves at the least.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:19 PM

i started on a 99 kawasaki zx6r back in 2000. 600's are perfect starter bikes.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i started on a haybusa and then moms got mad cause she couldn't get all the stains out of my tighty whities so i had to trade in for something smaller.

yea you really shouldn't start on a 600, but it's not bad or anything so long as you have ultimate respect for the bike and are a responsible and careful rider, which no one can be 100% all the time...also, it's generally not recommended in case anything goes wrong, a newb may not know how to correct the problem or freak out instead...

you know how it is...it's like in driving school...when a bumble bee flew into the car...instead of focusing on the road, the driver screamed and let go of the wheel to cover his eyes with his arms...common newb mistake...so in bike terms, it's like lock up the rear and freak out and let go...and get tossed.

take the MSF...and ride and practice a lot....and gear up!

don't listen to biscuit about the 300 lbs chick...he's jealous!

Old 02-17-2006, 02:53 PM

Well, I'll speak on behalf of your friend b/c i'm in the same boat. What I'm doing right now is gearing up, then taking the safety course, then getting my m-class, THEN getting my F4i.

I'm going to take it slow and start off in a parking lot. Get a feel for the clutch, the weight, the brakes and throttle before getting into it. I'll probably put half my break-in miles on side roads, etc. Once I'm acclimated on the bike and feel comfy I'll take it out more. If your friend does this I'm sure he'll be fine. A friend of mine that'd never even really been on a bike picked up an '06 R6 and is doing fine. He took it slow at first as well.

Old 02-17-2006, 02:57 PM

I learned riding at night (no one out then) but be careful because turning (I.E. Clover Leaf) is harder since you can't see as far out in front of you. Just how I did it.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:33 PM

I would have to agree with the fact that it all depends on the person. I just got my first bike about a month ago. Knowing that i pushed every car i'v ever owned to the limits, getting a 1000 RR was out of the question. But still needed something where when i know i can handle it I wont be a sitting duck. If he is a person that will respect his bike and the road he should get whatever he feels comfortable on. For instance for me the 250 my older brother has is a cramped up ride, im too tall he on the other hand is only 5'7". The 500 by suzuki i think looks like a lil bitch bike, so i set my mind on a 600... I am very careful and ride slow, sometimes i speed up but im taking my time to learn. I respect my bike and the road and above all my life.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:44 PM

The RR, R6 and all the new 600's are race bikes with high rpm-power that make poor street bikes for beginners. The old F2 and F3's are much better all-around sportbikes, especially for a beginner.

Quick Reply: bike buying advice