General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike acting strange... Help please..

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike acting strange... Help please..

Hi I have a 2001 F4i, just hit 16000 miles. The problems started around 15500 miles and have been getting worse.

When I'm riding the bike the rpms fluctuate to were I can feel it moving back and forth in high rpm/low gear. Even when I pop the front up and its in 1st gear, mabye 12k rpm the front can be seen moving up and down. Seems a lot less noticeable in high gear/high rpm, but comes back in high gear/low rpm. The best way for me to describe it is that in stead of the bike running like "errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" it runs "errr errr errr errr errr" backing off the rpms every half a second or so. Mabye 200 rpms.

I've replaced the air filter, spark plugs, oil, flushed the radiator etc. also running fuel injection cleaner. Still having this annoying problem. People have said, fuel injectors... im cleaning them evey gas tank... spark plugs, replaced those. air filter.. replaced... Another guy said my exhaust finally broke in and I need a power commander (he sells them coincidentally).

everywhere I turn no one has ever heard of this or knows whats wrong. Please help

-Jon

Old 08-31-2006, 07:29 AM
Default RE: Bike acting strange... Help please..

I had a similar prob with a carbed F4 my mech said that the worn cam chain tensioner could be putting the timing out.. A new CCT and a carb tweak did it so check for a CCT rattle, failing that it's got to be your injectors. i've had one fail on a car but haven't heard of them failing on a HONDA.

Is your fuel, tank, lines, filter all clean?

Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 AM

Your throttle position sensor might need adjusting, thats what could be making the enging surge, you need a good Volt / Ohm meter and the manual...

Old 08-31-2006, 11:05 AM

Try running just gas for a tank and don't put anything else in. This may fix your problem.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:39 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to run injection cleaner in it all the time.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:00 AM

May need to sync those throttle bodies!!

Old 09-01-2006, 02:24 PM

Just a suggestion that i've seen on this forum for a similar problem to mine which is erratic power until rpms come up regardless of gear. And that is when you changed the plugs and air filter the velocity stacks if you took those off have to go on a particular way. I believe dont quote me on the the tall ones go in the middle and short ones go to the outside. I cant remember cause i havent done it yet cause im not allowed to ride due to my lawsuit. So its kinda a safety thing for me, if its not fixed i definitely wont be tempted to ride it ;-) Do some searching for "poor power delivery" or something to that effect. I know i found it when i searched it just took some time. Im pretty sure that the tall go in the middle. Again not positive though, if i recall correctly the person said that the velocity stacks look like they should go one way and in reality they go the other way is what it boiled down to. Just a thought.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:29 AM

Ok this became a problem before I changed the plugs. I changed then, no effect. Theres no doubt my CCT is failing. It's pretty loud. I'm going to get a new one asap.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:05 AM

Ok I changed the CCTL and I'm still having this problem. I keep hearing get a power commander...yet Im not so sure i want to spend another 250 dollars just for it to still have the same problem. Any more ideas? anyone else have this problem?

but yeah, the RPM's pulse when I'm riding it. Could this be caused by a worn sprocket/chain? or clutch plates sticking?