General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bead setting

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bead setting

I mounted a 180/55 tire on my rim where the stock size is 190/50. I am trying to get the bead to set and when I air it up I got the two pops but the tire does not look it set against the wheel lip. It holds air but I am concerned. Should I I just air it up some more or try and reset the bead?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:23 AM

can you post a pic?

It should seat just fine. But if you have a gap between the tire and the rim, then it didnt seat. put about 15lbs of air in the tire then try bouncing the tire on the ground like a basket ball. the added pressure will force the tire to seat all the way, if it truly isnt seated.

But without pics, its hard to give good advice.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:24 AM

Why are you putting the wrong size tire on there anyway. You feel comfortable doing that?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not the "wrong" size, its a slightly different size (narrower and taller) but not wrong. To seat the bead, air up the tire, and the spots that didnt "pop" against the lip, slam against the ground, grab the wheel with both hands swing it up and bounce it on the ground hard, and after a few "slams" it will seat, work your way around till the entire tire is seated.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 PM

^ Compared to the front there is a big gap between the tire and the rim (I can put a fngertip in between the two). I will use some ratchet straps and bounce it. I will put a little bit of lube where it isn't seating.

Do I need to break the semi bead I have now and then try to reseat it or just put more air in it as it is?

Old 05-21-2009, 01:40 PM

yeah air that bitch up

Old 05-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Should fit fine. As precaution I'd break the bead and soap that baby up. Then inflate the **** outta it (not above 50 PSI though). When you air it up are you taking out the schrader valve? It's hard to get enough air in the thing if you don't.

And like some have already stated, once you get it beaded put the schrader back in it, air to 15-20psi and bounce like a basketball. Use your eyeballs on both sides and verify the tire is seated evenly. Then air up to your preferred PSI

Old 05-21-2009, 02:54 PM

^The valve core is out when I am trying to seat the beads.

I'll let you know how it goes tonight!

Quick Reply: bead setting