General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery tender question

Anybody have any experience with this particular brand of battery tender? Looking for something along the less expensive side of things here and was curious if anyone here has this one or used it before. I read the reviews on the site, but want more direct reviews as far as using it on your bike.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...arger/13005742

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of the brand. If you're getting it because you think it costs less than the more popular Battery Tender Jr I just Googled it and found the Jr for $20, nearly $5 less than that one at Walmart.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With a name like "SHUMACHER", its gotta be good right???
All joking aside, I've never seen these in the Walmart stores around me. It looks/sounds like it could be a decent option. W/ walmart's return policy, it could be a win-win to try it out & see how it works.

Comparing to the Battery Tender Junior, the Shumacher from walmart has the quick-disconnect plug as well. I have my quick-disconnect installed on my battery & run to the back seat area. That way, when I need a charge, I just pop off my rear seat & plug in for a charge.

I say, give it a shot & let us know how you like it. For $15 less than the Battery Tender brand, it would be a good savings.

Good luck.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have that same Schumacher (Schumacher has been in the batt charger business forever) - but I'm not real happy with it. It doesn't seem to cycle very much, and gets super hot even though it reports it hasn't been charging anything more than trickle.

My Bro in law has the Deltran Batt. Tender Jr for his sportster and has had no problems with it, I'm about to buy one for my bike.

the Battery Tender Jr. is the same price, although it is only.75amp output for true charge cycling - that's not what a battery tender is for anyway.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I've heard of the brand. If you're getting it because you think it costs less than the more popular Battery Tender Jr I just Googled it and found the Jr for $20, nearly $5 less than that one at Walmart.

Hmmm, thanks for the info, I didn't see that Battery Tender Jr, before. I was looking for one that had the ring connectors so I could leave it attached instead of taking the seat off everytime, (just a lil lazy here sometimes). I think I am going to go get that one.

Just looking around walmart and saw it, but wasn't sure if I should get it without some reviews first. Didn't see the Junior around, but I will check auto stores.

Adrenalnjunky, I'm not looking for a charger, per-say, more of a tender, to keep the battery maintained. It will be sitting in a friends unheated garage, but I will be going out once a week or so to start it up, so I am not going to take the battery out of it. So I think even a .75 amp tender will work for my needs, and if its cheaper than the Schumacher one, I will get that then, thanks.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
Hmmm, thanks for the info, I didn't see that Battery Tender Jr, before. I was looking for one that had the ring connectors so I could leave it attached instead of taking the seat off everytime, (just a lil lazy here sometimes). I think I am going to go get that one...
The Battery Tender Jr is a great little product. As I said, I have the quick-disconnect installed on my bike & its very convenient...I leave it there year-round. I installed/routed my cord to stay under the rear seat but you can route it to your subframe or wherever, such that all you have to do is just plug it in w/o removing anything. You can even buy spare quick-disconnect harnesses to attach to your other bikes, to just switch up as needed (very convenient).

Here is the list of dealers that is listed on BT's webpage... http://batterytender.com/resources/stores . The only places to buy it around me is at the local CycleGear stores & bike shops. Its priced-fixed at $39.99 at those places. I've never seen it in the mainstream automotive supply shops. However, Autozone shows it on their webpage for $39.99, & other accessories are avail as well. Perhaps it just depends on the region/etc.

If you find it for less than $39.99 retail, please list where. Happy shopping.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Amazon also appears to be a direct retailer: $23.38 with free ground shipping on a $25 order, so find something cheap to fill out your order, or get an extension cable or spare end for it.
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...3838331&sr=8-1

edit: - just ordered mine, plus a el-cheapo $12 dust cover - my bike mainly sits under a garage. Less than $36 shipped.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 12-31-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:06 PM

^^^ That's a good deal.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:07 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Google search, guys. Here's a place that has the Battery Tender Jr for $19.99. I don't know what the shipping is, so you might want to weigh the total cost against some other place like Amazon that frequently offers free shipping.

I have a Jr for my bike and it really works well. I hook it up each evening when I'm finished riding for the day, whether I'm going to ride the next day or not. I have the extra pigtail that comes with the Jr routed to under the passenger seat/storage area so it makes it real easy to hook up.

A Harley co-worker says he leaves his hooked up to a Tender whenever he's not riding and claims he gets 4-5 years out of a battery.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the input, I truly appreciate it.

Originally Posted by gotcbr

Here is the list of dealers that is listed on BT's webpage... http://batterytender.com/resources/stores . The only places to buy it around me is at the local CycleGear stores & bike shops. Its priced-fixed at $39.99 at those places. I've never seen it in the mainstream automotive supply shops. However, Autozone shows it on their webpage for $39.99, & other accessories are avail as well. Perhaps it just depends on the region/etc.

I just looked at all the stores that carry it, Cabelas has it for $29.99, I don't live to far from one, so I may make a trip there.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Batte...All%20Products

And it comes with a 2 year warranty.

Quick Reply: Battery tender question