General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery - jumed from car

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery - jumed from car

I was jumping my dead battery ('02 600 F4i) and I jumped it from a car battery while it was running. I read some posts online and this is not good. I was able to start the motorcycle but the battery was completely dead and wouldn't run without jumper cables attached. Did I damage the bike's electical systems? I haven't gotten a new battery yet to test it. Thanks.

Old 08-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Default RE: Battery - jumed from car

No you MOST LIKELY did not do any damage. It is pretty straight forward.
T

Old 08-11-2006, 06:21 PM

Just an afterthought......... I got a battery tender and installed it onto my F4i and instead of jumping mine if it dies I just plug it into the wall for about ten minutes and it will crank right up.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:26 AM

dude never jump your bike from a car,the amps coming off your alt. is to strong for the bikes electrical system and my fry the voltage reg. or if it is fuel inj.fry the computer.like rjmech sugested use a batt. tender,you can get one enywere at my shop we sell 3 typs but the small one will do you just fine for about 32 bucks.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:36 PM

Is there any way to tell before I drop $90 on a battery? Is it possible that the bike is okay? It ran fine while it was connected to the car... Thanks.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the main fuses to make sure they are not blown.

i think you should be ok. if it was shorted in any way, it would've died while juice was coming in from the car.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Retired Admin

do you have a shop nearby you can borrow a battery or put the bike in a truck and go see them? You can check that way if you are nervous.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:11 PM

you may want to put a volt meter across your battery terminals to see what it reads both with the bike switched off and running. It will show the battery charge conditon but will also show if you've damaged your charging system as the volts should increase with the engine running.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:01 PM

you could have caused a problem with the ECU , it dosent like high voltage electrical spikes,
if you or anyone else reading this needs to jump start their bike with Fuel Injection, make sure the head lamp is on full beam and put as many lights on as you can (indicators, Brakes) these will take the voltage spikes out that damage resistors, diodes, & transistors, in the ECU, you might be lucky by having a completely dead battery, but always errr on the side of caution

Old 08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The biggest clue is that the bike won't run w/o cables attached. Motorcycles don't run very well w. dead or dying batteries. The electrical system will route power to the source of the drain, in your case the battery.

Quick Reply: Battery - jumed from car