General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dies when bike gets hot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dies when bike gets hot.

ok.. to start.. when i get my bike hot and turn if off for a few minutes then try to start it the batterie is dead.. doesnt happen all the time.. i noticed today my temp hit 230 something.. i was riding wheelies up a hill at our local airport and practicing endo's, crucifix's and so on... when i noticed how hot my bike was i parked it for a few and it wouldnt start back.. this has happend 4 or 5 times.. when it happens i roll it down the hill to start it back.. not sure whats going on here..

any opinions?

bad battery?.. not sure why my bike getting hot would cause my battery to die like that.. then after i ride for about 30 minutes normally without it overheating it starts fine the rest of the day as long as i'm not stunting and my bike doesnt get hot.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Retired Admin
Default RE: Battery dies when bike gets hot.

Does it turn over? or is it completely dead? Could be a relay problem or an electrical problem in the point section of the starter. When was the last time you replaced the battery?Is your fan kicking on?

Old 08-15-2006, 12:43 AM
Retired Super Moderator

Mine does the same thing, and i thought it was the battery---it turns over really slow when it's hot, usually won't start. A mechanic just recently told me that this is a strong sign that my valves need adjusted, they are probably tight and the heat just makes it worse. Anyone else heard this?

-Adam

Old 08-15-2006, 01:20 AM
Retired Admin

lol now thats mechanical and I go to a shop for that...LOL

Old 08-15-2006, 04:06 AM

wont even turn over.. the lights will turn on but when i push the start button everything turns off and wont crank...

not sure.. maybe i just need a new battery?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:39 AM
Banned

I've had my Vette for 15 years now, and everything has broken on it once or more.....Check your grounds first. Then I would think it would be a timing issue before a valve issue, but my guess is neither. Best guess is the battery, at 2 or 3 years old it could be suspect, then maybe it could be the starter that is causing problems as it gets hot. I've heard that Honda OEM batterys kinda suck, so maybe autozone can check it (not sure if their machine works for bike batteries).

good luck.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:29 AM

check to see if the cooling fan is working if not it
could be shorting out or the wires to the fan could be
damaged from the heat off the headers i had the same
problem with my old 05 600rr pingel links lots of mods ran 9.9s consistantly
good luck

Old 08-16-2006, 06:36 AM

yea its working.. if it gets hot and i kill the engine i can hear it running.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 AM

Take the battery tops off (the cover that says don't remove) if the battery is dry thats your problem it will be shorting out across the plates,

mine did the same recently, would start ok then after a run of about 8 mls wouldnt start or crank real slow
went through all the obvious checks including the battery and guess what the battery read 12v +
it has nothing to do with the valves needing adusting it's something simple

let me know how you get on will you?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: isolated1523

Mine does the same thing, and i thought it was the battery---it turns over really slow when it's hot, usually won't start. A mechanic just recently told me that this is a strong sign that my valves need adjusted, they are probably tight and the heat just makes it worse. Anyone else heard this?

-Adam

Sounds like this mech' dosent know what he's talking about or just wants to make a fast buck, tight valves won't make it hard to turn over, you would just loose some compression in fact it would make it easier to crank
He's told you total RUBBISH

Quick Reply: Battery dies when bike gets hot.