CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   In the barn talking to myself.... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/barn-talking-myself-136831/)

meggers 04-14-2012 08:04 PM

In the barn talking to myself....

This can't be good!

My husband is at drill. I'm going to attempt to put my water pump back together and put my exhaust manifold back on. Wish me luck.

What the hell is molybdenum oil and can I get it at Meijer?

raylee 04-14-2012 09:14 PM

Also called moly paste / assembly lube and you can find it at almost any motorcycle dealership and most auto parts stores.

MadHattr059 04-14-2012 09:22 PM

Moly-grease/oil is common, you should be able to get it from any auto-supply store.

It is a hi-temp lubricant, commonly used for brakes/pumps/etc. for it's extreme durability.

A few tips on the wrenching...

When you assemble the manifold, use some grease to hold the seals in place,
while you get the pipes on. When tightening the 3-hole plate that holds each
pair of pipes, start with the CENTER one. Then go left/right, center/left/right
(2-3 times), till final torque (14 foot/pounds for an F3). It will pull down evenly,
which is what you want.

Water pump, just pay attention as you dis-assemble it and re-assemble the same way.

Good luck, Ern

meggers 04-14-2012 09:48 PM

Thank you much, Ern. I was talking to my dad and he said he thinks he has some of that oil.. And sounds like he wants to look at it with me. I have a PDF of the manual on the computer.. I dunno about all these torque specs. It doesn't look that hard to put back together, couple O rings, gasket, 4 bolts, and a couple clamps for the water pump.

We have been trying to eliminate an oil leak I have. We took the oil pan off, cleaned off the old gasket material and put on some new honda bond and that took care of a lot of it.. It's still dribbling a little and he thinks it's coming from the O ring by the water pump so we got all new stuff for that too.

raylee 04-15-2012 10:06 AM

Other common places where the oil can dribble:
Filler Plug (worn out o-ring)
Valve Cover Gasket worn out
PAIR system (if you have one, and you can eliminate it with some block off plates)
Drain plug crush washer

vfrman 04-15-2012 12:17 PM

Sorry Meggers, I can't get past your avatar.....

Hope you find out where the bike is leaking from.

volcom440 04-15-2012 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by vfrman (Post 1150249)
Sorry Meggers, I can't get past your avatar.....

Hope you find out where the bike is leaking from.

+1 :icon_drink:

NateDieselF4i 04-15-2012 07:00 PM

Woah - husband? When did you get married?

Kuroshio 04-15-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by meggers (Post 1150092)
Thank you much, Ern. I was talking to my dad and he said he thinks he has some of that oil.. And sounds like he wants to look at it with me. I have a PDF of the manual on the computer.. I dunno about all these torque specs. It doesn't look that hard to put back together, couple O rings, gasket, 4 bolts, and a couple clamps for the water pump.

We have been trying to eliminate an oil leak I have. We took the oil pan off, cleaned off the old gasket material and put on some new honda bond and that took care of a lot of it.. It's still dribbling a little and he thinks it's coming from the O ring by the water pump so we got all new stuff for that too.

Yeah I had an oil leak like that on the F3. It was the o-ring on the water pump. Luckily the replaceable on :p

Sprock 04-15-2012 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i (Post 1150370)
Woah - husband? When did you get married?

LOL :icon_teeth:

could be the valve cover