General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Altitude influence?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Altitude influence?

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am contemplating a new motorcycle after about seven years pause from riding, and I am considering two options:

1. A friend of mine is willing to give me his ’94/95 CBR 600; I do not know if it is F2 or F3, with about 8000 miles.

2. I can wait and save some more money to buy an older (’01-’03) F4i. As I have learnt from watching the prices, I can get one with about 15000 – 20000 miles for anywhere between $2900-4000.

Now, I do not need the performance nor the looks of the F4i; I am considering the F4i for its EFI. The reason is that in a high likelihood I will be moving to an area where the riding will range from a sea level to 8000+ feet in altitude, and my limited understanding is that carbureted bikes, like the F2/F3, have problems with such an altitude variation, while an EFI will be able to compensate.

I would appreciate any opinions on the above, especially from people who are riding in such variable altitudes.

Thank you,

The confused Newbster

Old 04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Retired Administrator
Default RE: Altitude influence?

No doubt that an EFI bike will perform better in the varying altitude. But the F3 will work, just run rich or lean depending on the set up. Meaning you'll wear out the plugs faster, have more build up .... blah, blah...

If someone is GIVING you an F3... take it and ride for a season so you're back up to speed on riding. Then trade it off/sale it and buy what you want.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:58 PM

F4 doesnt have an EFI

Old 04-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the F2 service manual has special instructions for setting the pilot screws at higher elevations.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Retired Administrator

01-03 F4i is what he said. Those do have fuel injection, but I know little about them. Are you saying they are not EFI, just some simple means of FI that the ECU will not change?

Old 04-17-2008, 05:14 PM

Dear Don,

thank you for your reply. If I understand you correctly, the difference in altitudes will affect performance and minor maintanence, plug changes, carburetors build-up, but will not result in any damage to the engine. Is this correct?

Dear woo545,

thank you for your reply. My understanding is, that one sets the pilot screws for optimal performance at a given altitude. Consequently, at different altitudes these would have to be re-adjusted, which on a short trip with rapidly changing altitudes is inpractical. Am I correct?

Dear Nauree,

thank you for your reply. I believe that my message was understandable from the context and from the facts, nevertheless, Ihave corrected the error, you spotted. Can you now please address the issue raised?

Thank you,

The less confused Newbster

Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Retired Administrator

The bikes needs to be tuned to where you ride the most. 0 to 8000 feet is a huge change in altitude and you will notice some performance changes (not OH MY GOD... My engine is blown).

I rode with a buddy at sea level and he could tell a difference in his bike when we took it to the dragon in TN. He noticed the difference when he was trying to pop the front up. The rest of us have FI bikes and didn't notice anything. But, we just rode ours... no stunting.

I don't see you having a major problem with maintenance either since you're not tuning the bike for sea level and always riding at 8000 ft.

Point is, don't base your purchase on EFI or not based only on this. EFI is just a big plus in most minds

Old 04-18-2008, 04:45 PM

Dear Don,

thank you very much once again. That was, what i wanted to know.

The now calmer Newbster

Old 04-27-2008, 07:08 PM

don had a great idea with take the bike and ride it for one season and see how the altitude changes really effect the bike, If it's not what you want trade it off and go with a newer "FI" bike. Honda has great fuel injected bikes and you will not be disapointed with performance at any altitude! I rode my 1000rr from WI, all the way to CA and she still had all the snap in the mtns as she did in the plains. all in all the choice is yours but personally i'd go with dons idea if i've had the time off of bikes like you have.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:10 PM

oh and as for the prices for the older f4i's with 15-20k on them look around in buyers guides try to stay away from dealerships, they usually try to bend you over!

Quick Reply: Altitude influence?