General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 CBR 600 f4- starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry '99 CBR 600 f4- starting problems

I just bought a 99 CBR 600 f4 when I picked out up the bike started and ran fine everyone that day and the next morning when I got off work and ride the bike home with no issues. I left the bike sitting for two days and when I went to start it up to go to work it would not start. The neutral light and odometer came on and the horn worked but the bike would not even try to start no clicking or anything. It would not push start either. I hooked the bike up to my car battery with the car off and the bike started right up and stayed running even after disconnecting the jumper cables. I let it run for a little while and then shut it off and tried to start it again and I got nothing. Does this sound more like the battery is bad or the rectifier possibly? Is there anyway to tell for sure? My bushy is going to help me check it with a meter later today but any other suggestions our advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:17 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Download the service manual if you don't already have one, I would check the battery, r/r and the alternator; good luck and if you need anything else come.on back we will get that bike into tip top shape!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 AM

As of right now I am waiting on the rectifier I ordered since it still had the original one and everything I read said that those had a reputation for going bad. I ordered the electrosport rectifier for it and I am going to take and have the battery tested if its no good then I an going to replace that as well. Hopefully that will fix the problem if not the next step will be to check the alternator.

Where could I find the manual to download it on my phone its my only internet source?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Downloads | Two Broke Blokes Racing

A lot of people recommend replacing the alternator alongside the r/r, however that's not always monetarily feasable. If your r/r is still acting up and you can wait a bit mine is running strong but I'm upgrading to a MOSFET r/r.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:16 PM

I put the new rectifier on and a new battery in it and my bike started right up and took it out for a ride! Now that its running again my next project is going to be to replace the sprockets and the chain they are pretty beat up!

Old 07-03-2013, 04:42 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Check out hard racing they have good deals on AFAM 520 conversion kits. If you need help with installing them feel free to pm me, I have a bunch of info about setting your bike up so what ever you need.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:00 PM

where would I order the rectifier from, I am having the same issues. The bike starts up on the first shot when I boost the battery, but every day I have to boost it.
I have gotten the battery tested and it is working fine.
And I have rode the bike for a couple of hrs, and it starts right up.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Tyrone Sparks
where would I order the rectifier from, I am having the same issues. The bike starts up on the first shot when I boost the battery, but every day I have to boost it.
I have gotten the battery tested and it is working fine.
And I have rode the bike for a couple of hrs, and it starts right up.
Do some testing with a multimeter to see where the problem is.

Battery only should be better than 12.5v DC
If you are needing to boost it every day then i would question the battery test that was done. Try starting the bike after your days riding - if it still struggles it may be the charging system.

Battery when engine running at or above 2000rpm should be 14.5v DC
Standard r/r dont seem to kick in untill 1500rpm or higher ( this is one of the major advantages of a MOSFET r/r - it charges at idle )
Low voltage here could indicate faulty r/r or generator.

To isolate the generator and test it.
Unplug the connector to the r/r - identify the three yellow wires from the generator - You should get around 26v AC between any two of the yellow wires with the engine running at 2000rpm or more.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Not to thread jack but Deano, do you know anything about the HRC Alternators by chance?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by CJardine
Not to thread jack but Deano, do you know anything about the HRC Alternators by chance?
I believe they are just a low output altenator that can supply just enough power for the fuel injection and ignition system.

They were created because fuel injected engines use much more power than a carb engine so a total loss system was becoming unreliable.

Some have an extra wire that is voltage sensing and are electromagnetic rather than permanent magnetic. These switching versions consume almost no power until they are needed and then only just provide enough power for the engine electrics.

In general they are not suited for a road bike.

Quick Reply: '99 CBR 600 f4- starting problems