General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filter

looking for a better then OEM air filter, prefer something i can pop out every oil change and clean/wash
my choices are
K&N
BMC
S&S
AMSOIL (EaAM)
UNI

i know K&N and BMC are the leaders in this field. but what about others? better? worse? pros, cons, ext...

some testimonials would be best.
thanks

Last edited by MrHEX; 04-08-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM

What do you mean better and what kind of bike is it? I don't think any of those is gonna filter better than the stock paper and even if so it won't be better by much. Does your filter get really dirty, an oem filter should last 16k miles easy, mine looked near new at 16k on my f4i. Filters actually filter better once they have some use and dirt on them.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know OEM is better then K&N.
I wouldn't suggest cleaning your filter every oil change either as there is really no point to it, Its like changing your oil every time you go for a ride.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Im assuming you mean better as in air flow. I've always known K&N to be the best and I've used them on every car I've owned.

I was considering getting one for my new bike as well.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:42 PM

K&N and other similar cotton gauze filters don't filter as well as paper. They may flow a bit better but usually an engine gets more than enough air from the stock filter.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:27 PM

Seems silly but have you forgot about the display at every auto store? The a chamber with a ping pong ball inside. You put the paper filter in and when you push the button, air begin to blow and the ball barely moves. You do the same with the K&N and the ***** flies to the top of the chamber. And thats just on a small scale.

They are also rechargeable.

Here's the proof
K&N High Performance Lifetime Aftermarket Air Filters - Automotive and Motorcycle Air Filters

Old 04-08-2012, 05:38 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

Originally Posted by NTXcbr600rr
Im assuming you mean better as in air flow. I've always known K&N to be the best and I've used them on every car I've owned.

I was considering getting one for my new bike as well.
I have read from quite a few people on here that the K&N filter throws off yoiur A/F mixture and actually decreases HP, (Minimally)

Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by NTXcbr600rr
Seems silly but have you forgot about the display at every auto store? The a chamber with a ping pong ball inside. You put the paper filter in and when you push the button, air begin to blow and the ball barely moves. You do the same with the K&N and the ***** flies to the top of the chamber. And thats just on a small scale.
Honestly that test only makes me want to run away from k&n. More air going through equal size filters also means more dirt, I don't like dirt in my engines. I'm not saying k&n is gonna ruin your bike, but I don't think it has any benefit over the stock filter in most applications.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

it just all depends on your current setup.
i remember dirt has 2 almost identical f3's, and one didnt like anything but the stock air filter but the other was just fine.

k&n filters are nice, but again, it depends on your system.
if you have a full aftermarket exhaust (and want to utilize the full power of it) you have to tune accordingly which usually includes the airbox being able to effectively take in more air that the new exhaust can expel.
generally the k&n can breathe easier than paper, and thus allows to be better balanced on the intake side.
however, your bike is still tuned for stock filter and exhaust.
that's why lots of people go stage1 jetkit.
its the fuel balance to the new increase in air.

but that being said,
i dont run an airbox at all.
and i am weird.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

If the K&N was so great for my bike, why don't they show a picture of a Dyno run before and after installing it right on the box ? Wouldn't that be the greatest selling advertising they could do ?

BTW, neither of my F3's like the K&N. On my bike, Honda recommends replacing the air filter every 12,000 miles. For the vast majority of riders here on this site, it will never need replacing during the time that they own the bike, or maybe it will need replacing once.

Quick Reply: Air Filter