General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed - new tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed - new tires

Hi everyone on CBR Forum!

I have got new Metzeler Racetec K0 front and K2 rear tyres but have not them mounted yet. I have heard that new tyres have some protective layer on rubber surface, which is very slippy and dangerous. I have never been riding new tyres. Is this true and what should i do to remove that layer.

Thank you for your answers [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 02-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Default RE: Advice needed - new tires

Thats a decent choice of rubber you got there, I love mine.

Right......... New tyres have a thin layer of stuff on from the mold, i beleive its a releasing compound they use to help get them out the molds. It can cause you to have less traction in the dry but its more in the wet you need to be extra cautious,

Just Take it steady for the first 50 miles of use, (that means use not highway straight lines) and the coating will wear off easy. Perticular care at full lean angles.

Or as an alternative I do know of one man who gets the orbital sander out and takes the coating off with that to save him being so gentle, from the off.

Old 02-11-2006, 04:25 PM
L8X

i have also heard of people busting out the sander but youve got to be real careful!

Old 02-11-2006, 11:20 PM

Just put some slow steady miles on her w/ the new tires. I got metzler tires too. Good shiznit.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:56 AM

Thank you for your answers. I will try to use both of yours suggestions, sanding + slow driving. Just to make sure
See you

Old 02-13-2006, 08:34 PM

You really don`t have to sand its just the bloke i know hates bedding them in, you don`t have to go that slow either just be steady with all your manouvres throttle, brakes, cornering.

Old 02-13-2006, 09:57 PM

I would think that sanding would be too risky. Just dont want to sand too much away. Thats just me though.

Old 02-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

puhlease *****...do not jack the tire by using sanders, etc...it's not going to do much for you. the tire needs to go through heat cycles mang...the sander will just make you lose some rubber...that layer comes off in a jiffy...just ride normal, not excessive leans, etc. for a few and you're good to go.
you need that heat cycle, not the sander...

ask yoself dis...what do mawfakis do on the track? scrub them in and let the heat cycle them! i busted brand spankin new diablos at the track...took it easy first lap, second lap more hardcore...by third lap i say FACK DIS and busted super duper thugged out hardcore...wish i had some corsas though...buahhahaha...

Old 02-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Ok, i just returned from mechanic with my tyres mounted on wheels. When i put them on the bike, i noticed strange thing. Looking from rear, patterns on both tyres look like this ˇ ˇ but rotation indicator on rear wheel shows that rear tyre is mounted incorrectly (reversed) If both rotation indicators look in the correct way then pattern on front look like ˇ and on rear ^. Who's correct, rotation indicator or my mechanic? Should i bring him back rear tyre to remount it?
Sorry i am quite inexperienced. Thanks!

Old 02-14-2006, 02:02 PM

wheels = rims, or something. Sorry, i am having hard time with English. Let me know if you can't understand any part of my posts

Quick Reply: Advice needed - new tires