General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on my dented tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on my dented tank

Name:  E968AA52-2722-4D8E-9FC6-50AA6FC34024-51964-0000061E874DA53A_zps0e244939.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  314.6 KB

Name:  937AD73F-6237-4811-B49B-66944C719124-51964-0000061E8428AE2E_zps46e4ec9a.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  263.7 KB

Name:  F30D2AA0-9B47-4D93-BECB-C0DF9FBAC61E-51964-0000061E80F66D53_zpsf7817aeb.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  258.5 KB

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice pertaining to the size and location of the dent I have, is this type of dent on the harder or easier end of the scales as far dent removal goes. I don't really have much body work experience, popped a few dents out on car fenders and such. I've read some of the other posts and I know there are those dent removal tools out there that are suppose to work without removing paint, and obviously it's already past that point in one spot. I also saw some people talking about using airpressure and airbags. i guess i just want thoughts on what might work best for me, I'm pretty mechanically inclined so I'd like to try to do this myself if possible, any advice is greatly appriciated. Thanks for reading!!

Also in case you were wondering how it happened. It was like that when I bought it. I was told it fell up against a tree.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

See if you can find a replacement in that color on eBay, CL, or other source. That looks to be a pretty bad dent.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM

I painted cars for 5 years doing body work prep and gun myself on car dealerships... This particular dent your gunna have issues with regardless what you do to it because rite where the paint is chipped the metal is creased... theres a sweet spot on the inside of the dent youll have to push on with a pry bar and using a flat head hammer tap perfectly on the crease... This is NOT an easy thing to do and if you dont do it rite yull bend the leverage point... Recommend another route then trying to pop this one out... Maybe someone else here has a different idea or experience with dented tanks as I painted cars... possibly pull the fuel pump go in from the bottom... tank upside down and pop it that way?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:00 PM

No matter how you pop this one out itll never been a clean job due to the crease

Old 02-18-2013, 01:21 PM

Hey thanks for the quick responses!! I was kind of thinking in the back of my head what you guys are telling me, the dent, for now, doesn't bother me so ill prolly let it ride till I find a decent replacement. Thanks again guys!!

Halzinky...do you have a rough idea of what it would cost to get a tank painted say I found a new or used unpainted one? In case my color happens to be hard to find haha

Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM

If im correct the whole tank is painted black and the yellow stripe is a sticker decal .. So have it painted black and lay the decal on yourself .

If your near KC MO i can help you

Old 02-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by pipe dreams
If im correct the whole tank is painted black and the yellow stripe is a sticker decal .. So have it painted black and lay the decal on yourself .

If your near KC MO i can help you
I checked it out you're right on with the black paint with yellow graphics, and I believe KC is about halfway between fort hood and my home town back in Indiana. Too bad, I could use a friend that's good with paint and body work, I'm on my own down here when it comes to mechanics and body work haha, I'm gonna start looking for replacement tanks, and try to convince my wife to let me get one haha

Old 02-18-2013, 03:38 PM

Really depends on where your at... may have an idea for you... Pull the Fuel pump and maybe a short 2x2 wood rod... go in through the Fuel pump hole and use a rubber mallet... Wood needs to be about foot and a half long... wood should be soft enuff not to punch a hole in the tank and the mallet will absorb a lot of the brunt impact... Love tap to work out as much as you can... Only do it if your comfortable and make sure you flush your tank after for any dabree off the wood... Otherwise repainting the tank shouldn't be that bad... If you were to take into a body shop they will charge around 150$...

I was a private painter and would do it for around 75-80 but again wouldn't be able to pull that out and neither will a body shop... My old boss, master painter, may be able to make it clean looking again but your looking at having bondo on your tank...

Tank dents like this are more of pain then ya think...

Heres a couple idea's for...
1: Buy new tank
2: Push the dent by using a wood block and a rubber mallet CAREFULLY
3: work the dent out enough so you can put a tank wrap like a leather wrap with pockets to cover it
4: Check a local bike yard to see if they have one (Cheaper then buying new and you can use ur current FP)
5: see if a body shop can do it
6: Have the tank wrapped... Cheaper then painting

Old 02-18-2013, 04:19 PM

halzinky is right .. I would charge about $175 to sand down and paint a tank ( that didnt have that dent ) .

I would watch ebay , buy one thats not dented and send it to a paint shop. Have them shoot it black then lay your decals on it .

Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM

Hey thanks guys, glad I had y'all look at it, I like to try and convince myself I can do it all haha, prolly gonna get a good used one and get it done up maybe put this one out there for sell, any clue what it could go for? Figured it could recoup some of the money from the project

Quick Reply: Advice on my dented tank