General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding A Brake Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding A Brake Light

Move if this is in the wrong place.

My question is, can you add a brake light system to your bike? My idea is to have some led strips under the tail over the tire and have them only come on when the brake is on. I'm not going for the underglow look exactly, just to add some viability to other drivers. I'd only want them to come on when I'm on the brakes.

Anyone do it before? Or know how? What wires do I splice into?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-26-2011, 06:09 PM

So your going to keep your existing brake light?
It depending on what kind of light you buy, the voltage of the light that is. You mentioned LED strip if the voltage for the strips matches whats coming off of your wires to your existing brake light then just splice into the existing brake light and wire it up in parallel. LED's use much lower voltage compared to fluorescent, the strip may/may not have a voltage regulator built in. If Voltage is different, you may need a voltage regulator or build a current divider with resistors.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info and yes I'm keeping my regular brake light. My manual says that the brake lights are 12 volts (correct me if I'm wrong) so I hope my friend ordered some 12 volt strips. He and I have the same idea and he ordered stuff without me knowing.

I'll be sure to get some pics when we have it figured out!

Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM

but if he hooks it straight to the brake light wires, wont they also be daytime running? he wants them only lit when he hits the brake. there for he needs to run a new line right?

Old 01-26-2011, 09:37 PM

Correct, I'd like it only to be on when I'm using the brakes.
So where would I run this new wire? Where do I splice it in? I don't fully understand how the electronics work in this department. I just want to know what causes the brake light to go from normal running light to being a brake light. The brake lights have 3 wires each according to my manual.

Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There should be 3 wires going to your brake/running lights on the rear... Ground and two power wires.

One of the power wires will power the tail light, while the other powers the brake lights. Use a test light in the plug to determine which wire has constant power while the bike is on (taillight/running light) and which one only gets power when the brake is applied (brake light).

Once you determine which wire is only hot while brakes are applied; you can splice into that wire to run you LED's. Doing it this way will insure that the LED's only light up when the brakes are pressed.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:13 PM

^That's what I was looking for! Thank you.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problem... Just remember I helped you if you see me asking a noob question later, LOL, I'm still a bit new to the Hondas.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:28 AM

Haha you got it! I've only had mine almost a year, so I'm newbish myself.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Jacob, dont stress man! i got this! i see how it is u gotta post sumtin cuz u doubt me...tisk tiskk

Quick Reply: Adding A Brake Light