General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 CBR600F3 wont start >FIXED<

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 CBR600F3 wont start >FIXED<

I just bought my bike, and the orginal owner started it up fine and drove it to a place where we could load it while I drove my truck. This is my first bike and I think I may have ran the battery out while trying to get it started, because it no longer starts. Let me tell you what happened and see what you all think.

I put the bike in neutral and fliped the engine shut off switch, turned the choke to max and pressed the ignition, it started right up. Then when I pulled up to the stop sign I accidently let the clutch out and killed the bike in first gear. After that I attempted start it in first gear but it never fired and thats were im stuck. Any ideas?

UPDATED:
FIXED THANK YOU ALL!

Old 04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Default RE: 98 CBR600F3 wont start

Not sure if its your problem, as I'm pretty new to bikes also, but when I first got my bike, I tried starting it like a carbed car. I pumped the throttle a couple times, then turned it over. The bike started for me once, then didn't start again. I flooded it and fouled the plugs. Put new plugs in it, and it fired up after half a turn. There's some very knowledgeable people on this board, so hopefully you'll get some more input

Hope you figure it out.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:15 PM

That sounds exactly like what happened to me. Once I got it started I pulled the throttle a couple of times. Before I took off then when i came to a stop it died and didnt restart. Now my question is where are the spark plugs located... like I said Im new to bikes but im a Mech Engineering Major so I figured I could get some different sort of practice doing my own work.

Old 04-05-2006, 08:34 PM

**** F3 manual ****

Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 PM

Ok, do I really need to get a spark plug wrench? And where could I go about getting one. Anything specific I should avoid doing while checking / changing the Spark Plugs?

Old 04-05-2006, 09:34 PM

I took out all the rubber stoppies to air out the plug, as said somewhere... that what to do if they are flooded right? But before I did this I removed one of the rubber stoppies to see if i could see the spark plug and when I replaced it the ignition stopped cranking all together instead of the weak cranks of a low battery. Any idea why that is?

Old 04-05-2006, 10:00 PM

I posted this in another thread, but this is how I changed my plugs. You'll probably need to remove the plugs themselves as they will be fouled (coated), and if your gonna take them out, then just put new ones in. Also, I'm a ME major at University of Missouri- Rolla, were do you go and what year?

I got my plugs at o-reilly's for around $6 a peice. I'm pretty sure they are 5/8. I took off my tank, and took off the airbox. Unplug the wires from the coil, and pull the coil off the plug. I used a deep 5/8 socket along with a 3inch and 1inch extension (a 6 inch was too long for me). Use the wrech to break the plug loose, then use the extenstions to unscrew it. I used a long magnet to pull the old plug out, then just drop a new (gapped) plug in, and repeat. You'll have to fish the coil and socket/extension in and out, but its manageable, I've only had my bike for a few weeks and already had all four plugs out twice, hehe. Once to clean them, cause the bike wouldn't start and once to put new ones in. I can pull it all of in 30-40 minutes not hurrying anything.

Hope this helps!
Logan

Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 PM

Just pulling the rubber off with do nothing, a motor will eventually dry up, but if your plugs are fouled, they won't get any better. If you don't have new plugs, take the old ones out and wire brush them real good. I would recommend getting new plugs anyways ... even if thats not your problem, it will be avoided in the future.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:07 PM

Hmmmm... I was just guessing an F3 and F4 were similar, I'm not sure if those steps will work on your bike?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:11 PM

It seems like it would work. Though I really have to remove the tank to get access to remove the spark plugs? Is the space available when removing the mantience panels not enough room? Because Im hesitant about actually removing the whole tank, gas and all.

Quick Reply: 98 CBR600F3 wont start >FIXED<