General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'97 GSXR-600 Fuel Pump/Electrical Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '97 GSXR-600 Fuel Pump/Electrical Issue?

Hey guys, I know its kindof unrelated to CBR talk in all forms, but im helping a friend out getting his bike back on the road.

He just got it back from body/paint shop with a spiffy new looking paintjob. We go to put the whole bike back together and fire it up. It runs kindof choppy, almost like its not running on all cylinders and then stalls out after a minute of bad running. Whats happening is that the carbs are loading up on fuel and running to rich until it stalls out the cylinder and we are losing spark. Fuel is even then going back up into the airbox. Annoying problem but we couldn't figure out what was causing it until just recently. With the fuel pump disconnected, the bike runs perfect, idles great and seems to be working just fine.

From what I hear, the fuel pump is not supposed to run all the time, it is supposed to be an on demand sort of thing and only come on when you have the rev's right out full and the motor demands the fuel. But the pump is running all the time and it is over feeding the engine causing it to overload the carbs and bog out. The relay for the pump checked out just fine but when taking a volt meter over the coil in the relay, it is ALWAYS reading voltage so hence the pump would be on all the time.

Any ideas on what triggers the fuel pump or makes it come on or off?

On a side note, the headlight fuses are blowing constantly :P

Old 06-05-2006, 07:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '97 GSXR-600 Fuel Pump/Electrical Issue?

I believe it will turn of when there is certain pressure (my guess) there is a sensor inside and maybe it has corosion on the contacts?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Mike the new guy