General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 cbr1000f stalling when releasing clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 cbr1000f stalling when releasing clutch?

When I am starting from a complete stop using the "friction zone" the bike will stall if I go the slightest bit past the "friction zone". Unless I give it throttle (quite a bit at that) it's over. Sometimes even with throttle it will stall. At first I thought it was just rider error being a noob and all but my buddy who's been riding forever says it's not normal but he has no clue what it could be. So I took to Google and all my research points to the side stand switch. Apparently there is a small plate attached to the kick stand that pushes against a plunger attached to a wire that lets the bike know the stand is up. The plunger could seize up or become encased in road gunk. I will say that the indicator on the dash cuts off when I raise the stand. So idk. I tried to do what the guy said in the video but funny thing is, unless I'm blind, I don't have that set up. 96 cbr 1000f. Just wondering is anyone can confirm this issue. Maybe someone has been through it. Or maybe any other suggestions or remedies. Any help is very much appreciated! Thanks. Tired of the drag race starts 😂

Here's a reference vid if anyone cares to watch

https://youtu.be/oh7H7xfRMFA

Old 04-15-2019, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you tried by-passing the side stand switch (for testing only)

Old 04-15-2019, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Have you tried by-passing the side stand switch (for testing only)
I have not. I guess I could try unplugging the wire and see what happens.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

No good ,you have to jump the wires on the harness side to kid on that the stand is up

Old 04-15-2019, 02:02 AM

No good ,you have to jump the wires on the harness side to kid on that the stand is up
Wait, what? I'm sry, I'm new to bikes. Can you please explain that in laymans terms?

Old 04-15-2019, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Yes , if you go to the side stand , follow that up to the top of the stand you will see the switch and how it works , if need be take the switch off and follow the wires up to the connector in the harness, and on the harness side ,using a piece of wire connect the Green wire to the Green/White wire in the harness connector using your piece of wire

Old 04-15-2019, 02:23 AM

Yes , if you go to the side stand , follow that up to the top of the stand you will see the switch and how it works , if need be take the switch off and follow the wires up to the connector in the harness, and on the harness side ,using a piece of wire connect the Green wire to the Green/White wire in the harness connector using your piece of wire
Ok I gotcha. I will try that when I wake up. I'll let ya know how it works. Thanks!

Old 04-15-2019, 02:29 AM
Super Moderator

Although I dont think this is your problem , more likely to be clutch adjustment ,and bleed

Last edited by CaBaRet; 04-15-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 AM

Although I dont think this is your problem , more likely to be clutch adjustment ,and bleed
Just out of curiosity, did you watch that short vid?

Also, I'll look into clutch adjustment as well. Because the guy in the video never specified if his did or not, but as I mentioned earlier. My indicator on the dash goes off when I raise the kickstand so the system seems to be working properly.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Yes matey ,watched the video , just think he made that to show how a faulty side stand switch stops the bike, but as you say you can throttle past that to get going, so it cant be the SSw, or the clutch switch, try bleeding the clutch and see how it goes after that

Quick Reply: 96 cbr1000f stalling when releasing clutch?