General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 CBR 600 working then not working.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 CBR 600 working then not working.

So here is the story.

I went out with my best friends brother to go and help him get his first bike. After a full day of driving around we finally find one that i would recommend him take home.

I took the girl out for a spin and acted really rough with her to see if there were going to be any problems.

Other then the tires and brakes bike seemed to run great. So no biggie we brought it home bought the parts to get it safetied.

When we got it to his house the bike continued to work fine. When we brought it to the shop to get safetied the bike wouldnt start in their parking lot. Which i thought was odd but figured what ever lets get it home so we can work on it.

After the bike was home it would never start. you could hear that the engine was trying to turn over and want to get going but it wouldnt. After doing this for a bit it started to sound like the starter wasnt getting enough juice. The battery was low so we charged it and adjusted the "carb screw?" (not sure if this is really what its called. I have never had to ever turn this screw before- its by the fuel switch by the bottom left of the tank)

Anyways we adjusted that and them boom, bike started. So we were happy. Brought the bike home and had his older brother come over to finally hear it and then it started and it shut off after maybe 2-3 mins of it idling. And would or will not turn on.

We have replaced the battery, drained the gas tank, called honda they said if the bike wont start that can be a number of things but if it shuts off after its running it would be the rectifier.

So yesterday i was working on the bike during my work hours when i shouldnt be lol... (im in sales) and i took all the sides off to find that the adjustment screw i mentioned earlier is completely out. It doesnt go to anything... and now the bigger bitch is i cant see or find where it is supposed to go.

So i got a few questions....

1) Does anyone have a schematics drawing for this bike?
2) Is there anyway this could be more then the rectifier? Which honda wants $205 for an OEM and $100 for an aftermarket one lol...
3) I was told not to be surprised if it was the fuel pump, but how can i tell if this is what it is.

Thanks again for all your help.

-Brad

Old 06-17-2011, 10:13 AM

Not wanting to sound ignorant, what is 'safetied'? If you can get the bike started using another good battery and a set of 'jump leads' the first thing you should do is to put a multimeter set to direct current voltage setting across the battery terminals to see if the alternator is charging it. You should see the voltage rises to over 14 volts. If you don't see anything above 12.5 then either the recitfier is faulty or the alternator. If all is well at the battery then I'm afraid you need the aid of an auto electrician. It could be anything from the starter switch to simply a bad connection. I dropped my bike at almost a standstill and at my first attempt to start the bike it wouldn't start, but after leaving it for a few minutes it went ok. I have the fuel injected model (2002) so quite different. I think it could have been due to the fuel cut-off switch that comes into play if the bike gets laid on its side, but not sure. Wish I could be of more help, but electriconics are a mystery to me! I'd start at the starter switch and if necessary, bypass it and see if that helps. Good luck mate!

Originally Posted by HondaJunkie99
So here is the story.

I went out with my best friends brother to go and help him get his first bike. After a full day of driving around we finally find one that i would recommend him take home.

I took the girl out for a spin and acted really rough with her to see if there were going to be any problems.

Other then the tires and brakes bike seemed to run great. So no biggie we brought it home bought the parts to get it safetied.

When we got it to his house the bike continued to work fine. When we brought it to the shop to get safetied the bike wouldnt start in their parking lot. Which i thought was odd but figured what ever lets get it home so we can work on it.

After the bike was home it would never start. you could hear that the engine was trying to turn over and want to get going but it wouldnt. After doing this for a bit it started to sound like the starter wasnt getting enough juice. The battery was low so we charged it and adjusted the "carb screw?" (not sure if this is really what its called. I have never had to ever turn this screw before- its by the fuel switch by the bottom left of the tank)

Anyways we adjusted that and them boom, bike started. So we were happy. Brought the bike home and had his older brother come over to finally hear it and then it started and it shut off after maybe 2-3 mins of it idling. And would or will not turn on.

We have replaced the battery, drained the gas tank, called honda they said if the bike wont start that can be a number of things but if it shuts off after its running it would be the rectifier.

So yesterday i was working on the bike during my work hours when i shouldnt be lol... (im in sales) and i took all the sides off to find that the adjustment screw i mentioned earlier is completely out. It doesnt go to anything... and now the bigger bitch is i cant see or find where it is supposed to go.

So i got a few questions....

1) Does anyone have a schematics drawing for this bike?
2) Is there anyway this could be more then the rectifier? Which honda wants $205 for an OEM and $100 for an aftermarket one lol...
3) I was told not to be surprised if it was the fuel pump, but how can i tell if this is what it is.

Thanks again for all your help.

-Brad

Old 06-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Thanks man,

Just finished taking apart the top of the bike and cleaning out the carbs, it was like a sand box in there.

Anyways... cleaned that out and reconnected the Idle adjustment screw. This had fallen off when my stupid neighbor was messin with it.

So now that this has been fixed, i tried to start it just now and it wont start. You can hear that it wants to do but it wont fire up. Yes the engine is turning over but it shuts off right away.

Not sure where to go from here. Weather or not i should just take it to the shop or spend the money on a fuel pump and and rectifier. Kind of worried doing this because it might not be the actual problem?

As for "safetied" any time here in Canada atleast when you buy a car or bike or whatever you need to take it to the mech. and get them to go over it to make sure it is safe to drive. When it passes this they with give you a cert you take to the dmv/mto to get your plates.

Again any help is appreciated.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:50 PM

So.... I just ran home and ripped the rectifier off of my 99 and the fuel pump because it said that they can be interchanged. I slap both onto the 96 and she still wont go.

No start not even turning over anymore.

any ideas?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 PM

so if the battery is fully charged and you turn the key into the on position but nothing is lighting up, where is this new problem?

I guess i should go a lil more indepth with this.

THe R/R the old one that came off the clip was totally fried on the red wire. I wasnt thinking and a dink at my work touched the red wire while i had the charger on. It hit the frame and sparks flew and damn near gave him a heart attack.

We have my new R/R on the bike and have all the wires hard wired in. Battery is reading at 12.88 and have another one at 13.04.

With the key on the on position nothing is lighting up and not one fuse is blown.

Last edited by HondaJunkie99; 06-20-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 PM

Forget i said anything. Turns out friend was pulling out the spare fuse at the bottom. Was a blown fuse coming right from the battery. Looks like we got power now and ill post back with my findings as too what else is wrong.