General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 cbr 600 f3

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 cbr 600 f3

Ok i baught the bike almost 3 years ago. it has been a really good bike and this year beginning of riding season i did all the regular maintanance. i kept getting a loud tapping noise. i replaced the spark plugs and cam chain tensor. Now the bike starts fine and idles fine untill warm. When the bike reaches normall tempature it begins to get excessively louder tap. almost sounds like a rocker or cam chain slapping. Anyone have any suggestions or maybe have had the same problem i would greatly appreciate the help

Old 06-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many clicks on the odometer? If high mileage could be the cam chain itself, but I would be more optimistic & suggest that it could be in need of valve clearances needing to be checked & adjusted. Unfortunately lots of things can cause top end rattle, but they usually come with other symptoms, like blowing gray/white smoke fer instance (rings), but that's usually with high mileage.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

+1 on the valve clearances. As the bike warms up, the gaps get bigger and they get louder. How many miles on it ? No matter, given the age it's probably time for a check anyway.

Old 06-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the bike has about roughly 19000 on it. the bike runs great no smoke at all. it had a full d&d pipe and that is it for upgrades. I was thinking along the lines of cam chain but im just not sure. maybe i will try adjusting the valves first. thanx for the input though. any other suggestions.