General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticking and strong gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 03:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticking and strong gas smell

So I finally picked up my cbr 954rr from the dealership and rode it for the first time in awhile when I noticed it being sluggish at low rpms then suddenly jumping in power. It also sounded very off when I was riding it and reaked of gas (almost like 2 stroke smell). When I finally got it home and took off my helmet and started it again it was making a ticking/ clicking noise. I haven't really ridden the bike more than a few miles over the past few years and now this happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just tried starting it up again and now the bike won't even start without me giving it some gas! Also if you look in the second video you can see smoke coming out next to the exhaust under the bike...
Videos:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xg...gg954KH5XZdDbX

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DB...iRaJneTaqUYlEh

It's a 2003 CBR 954RR with 8000 miles.

Last edited by Boosted9; 05-30-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was it in he dealership for a service? Were the plugs and air filter changed?If yes then it could be due to other reasons.If not then it could be failing plugs or a badly clogged up air filter. In case plugs and filters were changed, or if filter is in good condition, then may be a leak in your vaccum lines?
If the above checks out fine then have a look at the FPR(fuel pressure regulator) as well. The FPR on the 954 can be a problem.
Do you have any FI fault codes?
A bad map sensor may cause this as well. Although I am not sure if the ticking noise has anything to do with the smell of gas. Where is the noise coming from?

Old 05-26-2018, 06:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Ticking/clicking could possibly be from spark plug cap region. It could be arcing, either from a poorly fitted cap or along the cable close by. This would obviously cause poor and intermittent performance.
Warning. The output is enough to make you jump if you come into contact and you’ve also the added bonus of a fuel tank in close proximity so work safe.
If your clicking sounds are coming from elsewhere, remove any local panels etc and inspect your wiring for damage.
Keep posting your finds. Best of luck mate.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:26 PM

It was at the dealership to fix a valve stem and replace the fuel cap. However they just replaced the entire fuel pump unit inside the gas tank last fall. I don't believe that the plus and filters have been changed, the bike only has 8,000 miles on it.

The noise is coming from the back of the bike behind where you put the oil in towards the gearbox/swing arm.

It's also having trouble starting now, and requires that I give it gas inorder for it to start which has never been an issue before. I took 2 videos of it, let me figure out how to upload them and provide a link.

Old 05-26-2018, 06:32 PM

Videos:

If you look at the second one there appears to be smoke coming out next to the exhaust under the bike!!!!

Last edited by Boosted9; 05-26-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boosted9
Videos:

If you look at the second one there appears to be smoke coming out next to the exhaust under the bike!!!!
Sorry mate for the late reply. Had a look at the videos and unfortunately I can't tell what is wrong. Did you geta mech to look at it?

Old 05-29-2018, 11:58 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Sounds like exhaust collector box holed to me.
Wait till she’s cold and have a feel about. If unsure, restart, feel for leaking gasses. You’ll have to be quick as it heats up in seconds.Obvious places are the “v”s of the intersections.

Last edited by wes 17; 05-29-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by wes 17
Sounds like exhaust collector box holed to me.
Wait till she’s cold and have a feel about. If unsure, restart, feel for leaking gasses. You’ll have to be quick as it heats up in seconds.Obvious places are the “v”s of the intersections.
Could you elaborate on this? When I first started it up it sounded fine again but very quickly it came back.

Last edited by Boosted9; 05-30-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ceebeeaarguy
Sorry mate for the late reply. Had a look at the videos and unfortunately I can't tell what is wrong. Did you geta mech to look at it?
Well I took the spark plugs out today and they were pretty bad so I replaced all of them with new iridiums.

When I opened my airbox I found that it was full of corn from mice in the front part. I completely dumped it all out, and cleaned the air filter as well.

I ran some throttle body cleaner through as well, and am most likely going to run seafoam through the gas tank and through the vaccum line that goes from the air box to the intake manifold.

When I first started up the bike it sounded completely fine, but then after running for a bit the sound came back. It is still apart with the fairings off, I am going to change the oil tomorrow as well.

I will check the fuel filter as well, though I will need to look up where it is. Any fast responses would be greatly appreciated as I have 2 people waiting to see the bike. Thank you for all the help.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you got any fault codes

Quick Reply: Ticking and strong gas smell