General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

929 starting prob.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 929 starting prob.

Wuz up everybody. just arrived been checking the site out last couple of days.Decided to go ahead & log in.Definitelythe best forum I've seen. First been on. On to my quest first off I have A 2000 CBR929RR regretably haven't rode since my sons coming into the world almost 2 years.Right before parkingI purchased a new battery.I've been startingit off & on.Last time I found the battery couldn't take the abuse/lack of use.Itried charging it went to start no good.So I jump startit,get power now gauges etc.cranks over but no start.noticeno fuel pump sound,start checking fuses and other typical suggestions all good.So I go ahead check the pump itself hard wire it direct sucess fuel pump works.I am wondering if what I read earlier about " not being able to disconnect the cables off the battery after bike running,like you can a carbecause bikes need battery amperage for some components to work".Does the fuel pump system need more amperage than it can get off being jumped with cheap cables??My battery may even have shorted cells so I even tried disconnecting battery all together & hooked jumpers right tobike cables still no good.Hopefully will have funds for battery soon. Right now just qurious if I'm going to have alot of electrical probs.Sorryso long explain wanted to give all info thanks for any replies

Old 04-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Default RE: 929 starting prob.

when your jumping it off another vehicle, I'm assuming your using a car/truck. Is it running or are you just jumping from battery power only? If its running you could damage the charging system of the bike.

If the battery in there is really bad off, then yeah, it could key things from starting right. Also, since you havent been riding it much, there may be varnish building up in the fuel system so it may be harder to start.

Disconnect the bad battery and run jumpers to a car battery (car turned off) and try starting it. That will work fine, if the bike doesnt want to crank then your gonna have to check the starter relay to make sure it didnt get cooked when your jumped it last time.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:35 PM

thanks for the response.Yeah i've tried hooking it up straight off the car not, running directly to the cables of the bike without hooking to the battery of the bike. It would crank dash worked but no fuel pump..also went through all sensors previously had replaced fuel cut relay a year ago..

Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM

i know it sounds kind of stupid but mess around with the kick stand and see if it changes anything... i had a problem that sounds sorta like this that ended up beinga bad kickstand sensor, except if i remember correctly i also had no gauge illumination