CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   929 Metal Knocking sound (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/929-metal-knocking-sound-147924/)

Jan Verbeke 07-10-2013 03:10 PM

929 Metal Knocking sound

Hi everyone!

I bought a 2000 CBR 929 RED/BLUE/WHITE. The bike needs a lot of TLC :)

Work I already did:

- Fairing bolt upgrade
- new oil pan ( old one was cracked near the drain bolt)
- front brake new seals and pads.

but now, I noticed a loud metal knock on the upper engine side, side of the rear brake. Near the air box.

I uploaded a YouTube movie, which clearly lets you hear the noise.

The longer the bike runs, and gets hotter, the less frequent the noise appears.

When cold, every 3 - 8 seconds.

When hot, above 85 degrees celcius its every 15 - 30seconds.

I don't notice the sound when riding, might be because the helmet/street is louder than the knocking sound.

I can not hear the noise when engine is revving 4k+, Might be because exhaust note is very loud.

My main suspects are the CCT, because of the CBR 929 CCT history. But the knocking should be louder/more frequent when rpm's rise, right?

Other suspect is fuel pressure, as the noise appears less frequent when engine temp rises.

I can check the CCT but the position of the CCT on a 929 RR is pretty hard to reach.

Hope you guys/girls can help me.

Conrice 07-10-2013 03:23 PM

sounds like CCT to me. and yes, it is a bitch to get to. you can get to it though if you take the TBs off. it's a PITA; you'll cus a lot, bust some knuckles, and it'll take forever with an 8mm wrench, but you can do it

the sound is not exactly consistent. anything with the actual motor should be much more consistent with rpms. that sounds more of a rattle. it should be loudest around 4k rpms

and every honda has a CCT issue it seems. actually, most jap bikes in general have that issue. it's a fairly cheap thing to fix too.

Jan Verbeke 07-12-2013 05:05 PM

What would be the next thing on your suspect list if it is not the CCT?

cBrentb 07-12-2013 05:25 PM

If it does it when the bike is moving only and not when its still then check for kinks in the drive chain. Mine maid a knocking sound and it sounded like it was coming from around the egine area at first then, I put the rear wheel on a stand and started the bike, let the wheel turn to see the kinks in the chain making the noise. Might or might not be your issue.

Jan Verbeke 07-13-2013 03:50 AM

I don't think it does it while moving. only when parked and when idle.

Jan Verbeke 07-17-2013 07:39 AM

Today I received a new CCT + gasket. But during installation I noticed a deteriorated fuel line which had to be replaced ASAP.

When I receive that new fuel line, I will try and see if the new CCT is able to fix the ticking noise. I'll keep you all posted.

Jan Verbeke 07-18-2013 05:26 PM

Perhaps a silly question, does a gasket have a front or back side?

First side is nice and green, other side is less green and more white.

Frost 07-18-2013 06:24 PM

In my experience, typically no - unless there is a different shape or texture from one side to the other, or if one side is printed with front or back. But typically no, I'm guessing it just looks different.

Unless one side is totally green and the other side is completely white. Then I'd say there is a good chance it may be one-sided.

Have you tried checking an owners manual or calling a local motorcycle dealership and asking?

Jan Verbeke 08-16-2013 06:23 AM

After replacing the CCT I noticed the knock was still present.

But I have found the cause of the problem:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7401/slkn.jpg

Have ordered parts to fix it, was only the first disc that was broken.

cBrentb 08-18-2013 11:39 PM

what the...how did that happen i wonder? never seen that before. glad you found it though.