General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600rr full Akrapovic system installed...now exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600rr full Akrapovic system installed...now exhaust leak

So I recently put on my full akra system and there was a leak by the header pipe...I could feel air escaping by the collar on top of the header tube (one of the 4). During idle and while riding you could hear this spitting noise coming from the area. So I applied Permatex Ultra Copper over the collar in addition to special exhaust paste. NOW, idle is silent but while riding Im hearing a small small spitting noise still...I dont even know if its the same noise. Its pretty faint.

My question is, is this the noise associated with a full system. Also, is it possible for a leak to be nonexistant during idle but evident while riding?

I would REALLY appreciate some input here...its driving me crazy. thanks

Old 03-25-2009, 05:51 PM

Its possible to have a noise at higher rpms and not be present at idle. There isnt no where near the backpressure in the exhaust at idle as there is at higher rpm.

Also, the method of just applying over the collector is not a good one. It will eventually just blow right off. that gasket sealer needs something compressing and holding it in. What is probably happening, it came loose and there is now a flap of gasket maker covering your leak. At ilde, the flap is strong enough to keep the exhaust going through, but as soon as the rpms go up and the backpressure increases, it pops the flap open and then you can hear the leak again.

One thing that probably happened. During shipping, the header pipe was bent slightly on that downtube so it didnt seal correctly. I would hold the header pipe up to the engine and see that they are all the same spacing. Taking a long rule or yard stick across the mounting surfaces of all 4 tubes will also tell you if one is bent. Sometimes, its just a simple tweak and they all line up again.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:44 PM

thanks a lot for the response. I think I'll disassemble and apply gasket sealer inside the collar as well

Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 AM

So the 2nd time of reinstalling the akra headers and I still have a leak in the same place (the 2nd header runner from the left if sitting on the bike). New gaskets were used twice. Here's the weird part...the 2nd time, the leak was noticeably fixed. I cant hear it while riding but when I keep my finger by the runner I can feel a little bit of air escaping especially on a cold start. Idle is sound and while riding it sounds fine too.

I had enough so I thought I would take it to the dealer to fix once and for all and they said they wont since they werent the one to install it in the first place.

Ahhh....

any ideas? I was thinking maybe the runner is slightly bent inward on top where the flange goes over? Im sick of taking the bike apart though...

Old 04-10-2009, 01:40 PM

guys the air is coming from the collar area, not where the flange crushes the gasket area

Old 04-10-2009, 09:47 PM

anyone? please?

this isnt my pic, but the arrow points to where my leak is coming from. its coming from the collar area, not from where the header bolts on to the engine block. What would cause air to come out from here and not from the head? What can I check? I mean normally it leaks where the header tube crushes the gasket but theres no air coming from there.

Last edited by pbn85; 04-11-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:39 PM

please somebody help!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:59 PM

I have an akrapovic also and in my opinion there a pain in the *** if it did'nt sound so good I would toss it.Try starting it and pulling back on the header lightly to see if it makes a noise diffrence.I added some springs on mine to pull slightly back on the header it self.I noticed on mine that the dia.of one or two of the collars were diffrent from top to bottom then the other two, more egg shaped I guess.I tried to use heat and a rubber mallet and real easy like apply pressure but I did that at the same time as the spring addition so I dont know if it honestly helped.I have replaced all the springs as well and that did help after it was a year or so old.I still get a little noise from time to time but I also got tired of the hunt so if you get yours spot on let me know how you did it.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:21 AM

hey rob thanks for the insight. Only problem is, I dont get any noise...none at all. I did the first time, then I reinstalled. Now, I can feel some air escaping with my finger and its the same header tube that was making noise the first time. No noises this time, just feel air coming out a bit. Maybe while the bike is on I should still try to move the pipe and wiggle it to see if the air comes out. If it stops while I wiggle the pipe we know its an install problem. If the air still comes, its a problem with the system itself.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:27 AM

that is an odd spot for it to come from. The only thing I see there is the tig weld. Its possible during the welding process it didnt weld completely. You could have pin hole in the weld itself.

Next time, start the bike up, before it gets too hot, spray some soapy water all over the exhaust. Bubbles will pop up from exactly where the air is leaking. this way you will know for sure where its coming from. I've chased down mistery leaks before only to find out they arent coming from where I thougt they were. When the engine is running and you have a tight space to work in, things can be deceaving.

Quick Reply: 600rr full Akrapovic system installed...now exhaust leak