General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

600RR/1000RR Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 11:23 AM
LBS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 600RR/1000RR Mirrors

Are they able to be folded in, or are they snugged down with the mounting bolts too tightly to do this easily?

The reason I ask, is that I am replacing my present mirrors (CBR600F4) with the "newer" style, because of the change in the way they pivot on their bases.

I have these mounted on my 2007 CBR125R, and the fairing shape has the mirrors needing to be mounted more horizontally than vertically, which I discovered after getting the older style mirrors.

I want to be able to fold in the mirrors with a minimum of fuss, and not have to carry an allen key around with me, constantly loosening/tightening/repositioning the mirrors.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:35 PM
BDT

Yes, they can be adjusted (600RR's at least). Loosening the bolt just enough will allow you to move them in and out without the wind moving them while riding. I have mine like that so I can fold them in to get thru the door into my basement, for security reasons.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yes but they will work loose with time n need re-tightening

Old 11-25-2009, 03:04 PM
LBS

Originally Posted by BDT
Yes, they can be adjusted (600RR's at least). Loosening the bolt just enough will allow you to move them in and out without the wind moving them while riding. I have mine like that so I can fold them in to get thru the door into my basement, for security reasons.

Ahh! Excellent, thank you for the reply.

I have similar kinda reasoning for wanting to be able to fold them. Parking in the only spot I can at work, puts the bike where people walking past constantly bump the mirrors.

I had thought first of using Loctite on the bolt @ a slightly looser setting, and maybe adding a nylon or like type friction washer, to take up any minute movement.

Failing that simple method working, I was envisioning having to drill a couple small holes in the base plate, pop in some small stainless steel springs and a couple tiny ball bearings, and file two detent grooves in the mirror stem bottoms.

This would allow for the mirrors to be held relatively in place, in both "normal" and folded positions, but if I don't have to go there, I sure won't mind...

Old 11-25-2009, 03:19 PM
LBS

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod

Hmm. Well, at least I can try them out before resorting to more complicated measures, I guess.

With the CBR600F4 mirrors, they pivot more "up and down", which does not allow me to bring them in closer to the bike by any appreciable degree, with how they mount on my fairing.

Also, with their stem-to-base design, the weight of the mirrrors themselves is enough to make them flop down if not tightened extremely well. Thus no easy folding even if they could.

Thanks

Old 11-25-2009, 05:50 PM
BDT

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
True, but its an easy fix. I've had mine like that for a few months and haven't noticed any loosening yet.

LBS, I wouldn't use loctite on the screws. It could permanently lock them in place making them unadjustable, exactly what you don't want.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:49 PM
LBS

Originally Posted by BDT
True, but its an easy fix. I've had mine like that for a few months and haven't noticed any loosening yet.

LBS, I wouldn't use loctite on the screws. It could permanently lock them in place making them unadjustable, exactly what you don't want.

Right, I was thinking of the Blue (medium strength, easily undone with hand tools) versus Red (high strength, high torque/heat required to remove) so as not to make them too difficult to adjust if required, but less likely to loosen over time.

In theory...

More than likely, I will just use them without the loctite first, and see what they tend to do. I can always add a tiny amount as I go, and proceed as neccessary.

Cheers