General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 CBR125 stored 5 yrs; won't start

Old 07-24-2018, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 CBR125 stored 5 yrs; won't start

Hey. Just picked up a mint 2012 Repsol. Great bike, but the previous owner only rode it for a year. He then parked it in a garage. And did nothing to it. Just left it. Until now. I've got it now and am having a hard time getting it started. I've put in a new battery, spark plug, new oil and new gas. It tries, but won't catch. No fuel getting through. Spark is there. It's fuel injected and I've been told the injector is most likely plugged. Today's question... not being a great mechanic, is removing the injector something I can handle? I know exactly where to take it for cleaning. Just don't want to screw something up that I can't fix or put back together. One guy told me that because it's electronic fuel injection, a dealer needs to handle this as there's software involved etc. Another dealer told me it needs a new fuel pump. So many opinions and not much experience on my end. So before I take it to a dealer, does anyone have any suggestions? All would be appreciated. Cheers!

Old 07-26-2018, 03:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would drain the old gas and mix some seafoam in with some new gas. New battery,Drain the oil,put new spark plugs in, and new tires front and back just to get started!

Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 AM
Red face Great suggestion!

Thanks Edward for chiming in. I was also wondering if something like Seafoam would actually break down whatever is clogging the system. On their site, it talks about starting the bike and then shutting it off before adding it. It doesn't really talk about bikes that won't start. But I will give it a shot today; Thanks! A friend of a friend asked if I could hear the fuel pump when I turned the bike on, as if I couldn't, it would probably need replacing. I can't hear anything. But I'll try your suggested Seafoam first and see what happens. If I do end up needing a fuel pump, any suggestions as to where to find a good (tested) used one? I was quoted $388 locally for a new one.Cheers!

Old 07-28-2018, 01:16 AM

Before I would buy a new fuel pump I would check the fuel pump fuse and relay just to make sure they’re good. With the seafoam drain out the old gas first, then mix new gas with the seafoam. I would disconnect the fuel lines to see if the fuel pump is clogged, and to get the old fuel out of the lines as well.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:47 PM

thanks again Edward! really appreciate that. last one.... do you think someone with very little mechanic experience (I've done one oil change and replaced the battery on this bike) should attempt to get to, clean and replace the fuel lines etc. ? If there's no real risk in diving in, I gladly will. Any links to info or video would be much appreciated. If I should leave it to a trained tech; I will! Don't want to screw things up. Thanks so much. Cheers,

Old 08-19-2018, 07:03 PM

Did you have any luck getting the bike started? Just curious.

Old 08-21-2018, 06:59 PM

Thanks for checking back Edward! Since I'm no mechanic, I wasn't about to pull the fuel lines etc to find the blockage. At the end of the day, I had no choice but to bring it to a dealer. I've been waiting for a fuel pump to arrive from Japan (since they aren't stocked in Canada) and I'm told I'll have her back tomorrow. Finally ! The gas tank was also rusted badly so was relined. Should be good to go soon! Thanks again.