General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 honda cbr600 that won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 honda cbr600 that won't start

I have a 2006 honda cbr600 and It's not starting I changed the spark plugs and I change the startex ensure the battery is charged and it still not turning over I check the starter and it's working so idk what else to do can y'all help me please

Old 02-22-2017, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the starter engaging? As in does it make the engagement noise of cranking up?If it doesn't you need to check the electricals and may be the motor itself is at fault? If it does then either it is not generating enough power or may be the engine is flooded?
Did the engine at least rotate briefly or tried to rotate(you get this feeling that it'd start and then it doesn't?). In case it's very cold where you are then that could be looked into? In case it's a flooded engine then for an fi bike you need to twist the throttle all the way down and then try starting for atleast 10 secs without giving up in one go...

Old 02-23-2017, 10:15 AM

Bypass the starter solenoid and take the starter lead to +12V battery. Does the starter turn the engine?
If not it's a faulty starter. If yes it's something in your starting circuit.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by ceebeeaarguy
Is the starter engaging? As in does it make the engagement noise of cranking up?If it doesn't you need to check the electricals and may be the motor itself is at fault? If it does then either it is not generating enough power or may be the engine is flooded?
Did the engine at least rotate briefly or tried to rotate(you get this feeling that it'd start and then it doesn't?). In case it's very cold where you are then that could be looked into? In case it's a flooded engine then for an fi bike you need to twist the throttle all the way down and then try starting for atleast 10 secs without giving up in one go...

the engine wont turn over at all starter works thou and the plugs works

Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Rickycbr929
Bypass the starter solenoid and take the starter lead to +12V battery. Does the starter turn the engine?
If not it's a faulty starter. If yes it's something in your starting circuit.
ok ill try that today ill let u know if it works

Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Dj_migi
ok ill try that today ill let u know if it works
Cheers. Worked for me on my Gixxer 1000 K5. Honda will be the same. Threw me a bit as I'd paid to have the starter refurbished. And they messed it up. The brushes were not making good contact with the commutator. Lol...I spent a week going through the ignition circuit and couldn't find a fault. I borrowed a neighbours current clamp meter and the starter was pulling 199 Amperes peak for a split second. No wonder my battery was shot after one start.
Took the starter lead directly to Battery +12V and it sparked like Hell. Knew then my refurbished starter wasn't a refurbished starter...Lol

Easy, simple check you are bypassing the complete ignition system to turn the engine. Use something insulated to hold the lead as you are touching it off the Battery +12V. DC current can give a serious belt.

But you will know right away if your starter turns the starter is good. If it doesn't it's fairly easy to find going through your ignition circuit.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:18 AM

Cheers. Worked for me on my Gixxer 1000 K5. Honda will be the same. Threw me a bit as I'd paid to have the starter refurbished. And they messed it up. The brushes were not making good contact with the commutator. Lol...I spent a week going through the ignition circuit and couldn't find a fault. I borrowed a neighbours current clamp meter and the starter was pulling 199 Amperes peak for a split second. No wonder my battery was shot after one start.
Took the starter lead directly to Battery +12V and it sparked like Hell. Knew then my refurbished starter wasn't a refurbished starter...Lol

Easy, simple check you are bypassing the complete ignition system to turn the engine. Use something insulated to hold the lead as you are touching it off the Battery +12V. DC current can give a serious belt.

But you will know right away if your starter turns the starter is good. If it doesn't it's fairly easy to find going through your ignition circuit.

so far i have spray out all of the connecters clean the battery terminal and run a new wire to the starter and check all the relay btw does the 2006 cbr600 have a fuse box???

Old 02-24-2017, 12:26 AM

so far i have spray out all of the connecters clean the battery terminal and run a new wire to the starter and check all the relay btw does the 2006 cbr600 have a fuse box???
Yes. Look at your manual. My 929 the fusebox is under the seat. You will have a 30 Amp fuse on your starter relay and a 20 Amp fuse from your +12V battery to the engine stop relay.

You need to know if it's a bad starter, why your bike wont turn or a break in the ignition.

Take the starter lead and touch it to your battery. Does the starter crank the engine?
Determine this first then you know if your starter is good.

No point changing plugs etc as you said in your opening post the engine won't turn. This is not plugs.

Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 AM

Yes. Look at your manual. My 929 the fusebox is under the seat. You will have a 30 Amp fuse on your starter relay and a 20 Amp fuse from your +12V battery to the engine stop relay.

You need to know if it's a bad starter, why your bike wont turn or a break in the ignition.

Take the starter lead and touch it to your battery. Does the starter crank the engine?
Determine this first then you know if your starter is good.

No point changing plugs etc as you said in your opening post the engine won't turn. This is not plugs.

yea we took out the starter and test it with a battery and hold it on a board and it spin so the mechanic said that it's not the starter is the problem I found the fuse box and non of the fuse is bad

Old 02-24-2017, 09:05 AM

yea we took out the starter and test it with a battery and hold it on a board and it spin so the mechanic said that it's not the starter is the problem I found the fuse box and non of the fuse is bad
Hi Dj_migi,

you really want to test your starter on the bike. The starter motor needs enough power to spin the starter clutch. Mine spun on the bench but with a load on it (on the bike) it died.

Do what I suggested and IF it cranks your engine then you are not getting a +12V switched supply from your starter solenoid.

Your ignition circuit includes the starter solenoid, Kill switch, starter switch, fuses, ignition switch, GPS (gear position sensor) if one of them isn't working correctly you wont get the voltage to power the solenoid and crank your engine.

But you MUST determine if the starter cranks the bike when it's on the bike. This 100% rules it out.

Last edited by Rickycbr929; 02-24-2017 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 2006 honda cbr600 that won't start