General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 F4i will not start (video & details inside).

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 F4i will not start (video & details inside).

Hi folks, on the suggestion of another member, I've reposted my issue in this section in hopes I can get some better ideas to my problem.

Because of the mild winter last year up where I live, I tried to stretch the riding season as far as I could and lo and behold my cbr got caught in frozen rain with the cover on it (didn't have a garage at the time). It wouldn't start the next day and hasn't since.

You might ask why it took almost 8 months to address the problem? I've tried to diagnose the problem while in school but didn't have real time until I graduated this past Spring to really start wrenching.

Here's the video:

[youtube]SqdVaV-gdIk[/youtube]

I've so far checked and done the following:

Gas in tank
Fuel pump primes
Replaced the spark plugs to laser iridiums.
Checked for codes and got nothing back.
Air filter seems fine
Bank angle sensor seems fine (not sure how it would suddenly affect the bike if it was never tipped over)

It did smell like gas after trying to so many times before replacing the spark plugs (the old ones were pretty used up by then).
My next guess is the fuel pressure regulator, but I'm not sure how to see if it's gone faulty.

I hope this information helps!

Old 07-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Did you charge the battery?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by CJardine
Did you charge the battery?
Absolutely. I keep the battery on trickle charge when not in use.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:15 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thats not battery.. It's cranking but it sounds weird to me.. Did you do a compression test?

It almost sounds like there arent any plugs in the engine,but you said you changed them. Can you confirm that the starter is engaging and turning the engine? You could also pull the injectors and the rail and place them over e metal tray to confirm that they are firing.

Also check for spark.. You can pull a coil on plug and put an old plug in it.. Ground it somewhere to check.

My experience comes from cars.. So someone make sure that what I have outlined is safe for an F4i.

Odd.. Very odd..

Last edited by Turbulenz; 07-14-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:45 AM

My bike has done the same thing yesterday. I went a run from Glasgow to Grangemouth went in to a friends for a cuppa and came out and the same thing. It just wont start. I have tried changing the fuel but not got any further into the bike as I was at a friends house.

My bike sounds to be cranking the engine and does not crank over as quick as the one in the video.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
Thats not battery.. It's cranking but it sounds weird to me.. Did you do a compression test?

It almost sounds like there arent any plugs in the engine,but you said you changed them. Can you confirm that the starter is engaging and turning the engine? You could also pull the injectors and the rail and place them over e metal tray to confirm that they are firing.

Also check for spark.. You can pull a coil on plug and put an old plug in it.. Ground it somewhere to check.

My experience comes from cars.. So someone make sure that what I have outlined is safe for an F4i.

Odd.. Very odd..
I would have to agree with turbulenz but I also think it might have something to do with the starter. I've had my battery die on me a few times so I had to push start it. you could give that a try before ripping everything apart again...I'm wondering if your pull in winding on your starter didn't get fryed from you cold starting it. Best luck dude

Last edited by Joe Rocket; 07-16-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:32 AM

Thats spinning way to fast not real familiar with the F4i but if it has a starter clutch or one way bearing sounds like thats your culprit that does not sound like the engine is turning over.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM
Registered Users

Odd.. Very odd..
I haven't done any of that actually.

The starter not engaging the engine makes sense but I'm afraid I don't have the tools or the know how to go that far. I think I'll give a bike mechanic in my area a call and just send her off there.

Thanks for the help folks!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Please don't forget to update this thread with the findings and fix for it.

Thanks

Old 07-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Registered Users

Please don't forget to update this thread with the findings and fix for it.

Thanks
Will do.

Quick Reply: 2006 F4i will not start (video & details inside).