General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 cbr 1000rr misfiring and running erratic. wont rev up

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2005 cbr 1000rr misfiring and running erratic. wont rev up

Hey guys, big thanks in advance for any feedback.

I bought my first long awaited cbr about 3 months ago. 2005 10000 with about 15k on it. current mods (all added before I bought it) are Power commander V, full two brothers black series exhaust, K and N air filters, hard wired battery tender, and speedo healer (-1 front). I was very pleased with it up until today...

so here is the issue, I went to hop on the bike to hang out and watch the football game (lions game, Im in michigan) at a bar and I take off down the road and the bike is missing very badly, alot of sputtering and very unpredictable. so i make it to the nearest traffic light and stop, and the bike is idling fine, no noises but the second i give it some gas, no matter if i am in neutral or in gear, it doesnt want to rev up and if I give it enough gas it will stall. so i pull into a gas station and it is still running terrible. So i limp it home and stick it in the garage. before i stuck it in the garage I made sure i warmed it up first just to make sure it wasnt a cold running issue and it continued to do it at any temp (for the record it was about 70 degree here in the mitten today).

So here is the recent history on the bike.... 6 days ago i took about a 300 mile ride around the thumb of michigan for a scenic cruise. in the thumb it is way out in the boonies so this raised the first red flag. while on the ride out in the middle of no where it was hard to come by premium gas, and also it dawned on me, that if the premium is hard to find, it most likely doesnt get used much either so who knows the quality of gas I was pumping in even if it was 91 octane or higher. right after the ride I got home and of course I did not check the weather and did not cover the bike up so it was just sitting outside and it stormed pretty hard that night with heavy rain and i havent ridden it sense. today I did notice a little rust coloring sitting on the block right by the water pump and hydraulic clutch (which later i found out was coming from the tank vent).

secondly, about a month ago, at lower rpm and low mph (around 20) in first gear the bike would make a sporadic ticking noise that sounded like it was coming from somewhere in the motor area (if i had to guess i would say it could be a valve tick). and of course without moving, it will never make the noise so i can not investigate it. it makes it warm or cold. but ONLY makes it at that speed at low rpm and has done so ever sense. its like it has a mind of its own.

so this i what i think.... upon investigation I pulled the tank up and pulled the left side fairing off . as soon as I pulled the tank up I noticed the tank vent tube has rust staining on it and also was cracked and pinched. so that is the first red flag. Next I checked the power commander connections and plugs for rust or any water. all of the connectors looked fine. next I pulled the upper air box to check for anything obvious like air filter debris. the K and N filters were dirty but nothing extreme. also i checked the power commander connection at the TPS, and that looked good too. I then checked the upper and lower fuel injector connectors to look for any obvious issues, everything felt okay.

the plan is tomorrow to get a new tank vent tube and situate it so that it is free and breathable. secondly I want to drain the gas tank and put in new fresh "city" premium and see if there is a change. short of pulling the air box and checking the plugs, I am out of any other ideas than dropping it off at the local powersports shop. There are no warning/ dummy lights on at anytime during the ordeal. so im not thinking ignition.

So any advice is greatly appreciated, aside from what i plan on doing i am at a loss for ideas. Does anyone think it could be bad gas/ debris in gas tank/ the storm got water inside the tank somehow???? all things thay I would appreciate feedback on. I will check back tomorrow. Thanks again

Old 09-21-2015, 06:05 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There might be water in the gas due to the kinked breater tube so just to be sure I'd flush the tank and would put some pro honda fuel stabiliser, seafoam or what have you got available, to clear out any impurities that has possibly gotten into the fuel delivery.

Now I don't have a 1krr, or a honda for that matter, but: I had very similar issues with my daytona just a while ago. Hestitation upon revving, if given proper throttle it would drop to two cyls, etc. no warning lights lit. What cured all my issues at one go was a fresh, fully charged battery.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mattson
There might be water in the gas due to the kinked breater tube so just to be sure I'd flush the tank and would put some pro honda fuel stabiliser, seafoam or what have you got available, to clear out any impurities that has possibly gotten into the fuel delivery.

Now I don't have a 1krr, or a honda for that matter, but: I had very similar issues with my daytona just a while ago. Hestitation upon revving, if given proper throttle it would drop to two cyls, etc. no warning lights lit. What cured all my issues at one go was a fresh, fully charged battery.
Thanks mattson. I got the replacement breather line and some fresh 93 octane. going to pick up some of that anti water stuff. and will drain the tank and refuel. will update later. I will also swap out a fresh battery. my brother has a 08 cbr 1krr. with a one week old battery. just for S&G's ill test it out.

Old 09-21-2015, 08:56 PM

So I drained all the gas out the best I could and added a gallon of 93 octane and the bike revs up fine now on the rear stand. However I was just covering all my bases and noticed that I am not getting anything over 12.1 volts at any rpm. Is this typical for an 04 1000? I'm thinking it isn't. Every other bike I have owned would kick out about 13.4 volts after about 4k rpm. I have heard of stator issues on these bikes. But also have heard of rectifier problems on all Hondas. Any feed back would be nice. Thanks.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:55 PM

So I got the bike ruNing well now. This is what I did.... drain the tank and add new premium gas,replace the kinked breather hose under the tank, and cleaned up a rust negative battery terminal screw. ... with that said. I have a guaranteed charging issue. This may have been a coincidence with the fuel issue. What I have found was that the bike jist is not charging. I am getting 11.9 volts at idle and no change when reved above 5k. I found a video on YouTube of some Australian guy explain the recolor and stator test. My stator failed the ground test. So new stator for me. Will update for future reference when completed.

The following users liked this post:
Orlando Pile (03-15-2021)
Old 05-13-2023, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I need help I have a 2005 cbr 1000rr won't run I have weak spark, fuel & compression I just put a brand new stator and rectifier if any can help me out would be very appreciated

Old 05-14-2023, 09:40 AM
Received 128 Likes on 111 Posts

start your own thread in the right forum please.