General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 F4i Rubbing 2 pieces of paper sound, when rolling on throttle.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 F4i Rubbing 2 pieces of paper sound, when rolling on throttle.

Hey, I just want to start this off by saying I'm an idiot when it comes to motorcycles. Bought my first bike a month ago, just to kind of give you an idea.

Anyway when I ride the bike its got a grinding sound, a real grainy kind of sound, reminds me of paper rubbing. Gets louder, but not excessively loudas the bike gets really hot around 200 degrees. The noise seems to be slowly gradually getting worse, but it could just be my paranoia.

Wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem before or knows where I should begin to look. The sound is only when I give it gas, and doesn't happen when I rev it in neutral.

Installed the APE CCT about a month ago, was wondering if maybe this is noise is a result of that being too tight. It's no were near to that of the rattling BB sound. Anyone knows what happens if the CCT is on too tight?

On a side note, my bike has 20,000 miles on it and I was asked if i got the valves adjusted, was wondering if thats something I should look into, and is it something I could do myself? Appreciate any help that can be offered, even if its just to tell me im an idiot and I need to stop riding... at least its feedback. Thanks. (I've learned writing this that ugh ... I forgot how to spell a lot of words, so please bare with me.)

Old 08-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Registered Users
Default RE: 2001 F4i Rubbing 2 pieces of paper sound, when rolling on throttle.

is it coming from the wheels or towards the front...on bikes, the rotors are semi-floating meaning they have SOME play in them....sometimes when the bike is moving, the rotors brush the pads and make a sound sort of like what you are describing...they get worse with full-floaters...but that's another topic....either way, that sound is normal IF that is what it is...you can test it by taking out the bike and pushing it and listening for it...if you hear it from the wheels and it speeds up the faster the bike moves, that is likely your culprit....if not, we can investigate further

Old 08-27-2008, 08:27 PM

i agree with ff. my pads contact my rotors and make that sound. faint, but its there

Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 PM

First off, I just want to say thanks for the time to look, let alone respond to my post. I really do appreciate that, theres been many a times when I would make a post and never get any kind of responce so thanks for that.

K, now to the important/ sorta fun stuff... I wonder if that could be it, it is pretty faint, although sometimes it gets pretty loud. It sounds like its either comming directly underneath me, or from the front. But I wonder if it is that because I only hear the sound when I'm accelerating, the sound is not present both when I'm slowing down or when the bike is in neutral. Could it still be the rotor?

I'm gonna roll it forward like you said and let ya know tomorrow, what I find out.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered Users

well i can already tell that it's probably that....you wouldn't hear it when the bike is in neutral (not moving) since the rotors wouldn't be moving by the pads....and you wouldn't hear it when slowing down because you are using the brakes and thus applying pressure to the rotors by the pads....

i am now about 98% sure that what you are hearing is the faint sound of the rotors having a little play and brushing by your pads, it's no biggie, totally normal...takes a little while to tune it out once and if you notice it....feels like something is wrong...but no worries, it's totally fine...