General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-up passenger riding and possible effects on the powertrain

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-up passenger riding and possible effects on the powertrain

Hey guys,

My bike, an 07 600rr has a weight limit of 376lbs. I'm a pretty heavy guy (not fat though) and will be doing the occasional 2-up riding with my girl this summer. We might get extra close or maybe even surpass that limit by a few and I just want to know if this might lead to premature clutch failure or anything of that sort.

Other than adjusting the preload and inflating the tires to the MAX psi, what else should I do? I just got a new set of Q2's put on and I love them so far. I know handling takes a BIG hit, but I'm more so worried about clutch life and how it might get reduced when riding with extra weight.

I know any 600cc SS is not the model bike for 2-up riding but I just don't wanna mess anything up.

Thanks

Last edited by redlinernyc; 03-14-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:47 PM

I doubt you will do any harm to the clutch, not any more than doing hard launches or burning through gears. The thing i like to do is have her sit as close to me as possible so more weight will be on the center of the bike rather than on the rear tire. be careful with chain tension also, if you have it dialed in for you than look at it when both of you are on and make sure it isnt too tight. that would kill the final drive of the transmission

Old 03-14-2011, 10:32 PM

i bet you can go over the limit with no problems, you just are going to lose handling etc.

perhaps you might consider a 1000rr, it would help a lot with braking and give you a little more go with the extra weight.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic
I doubt you will do any harm to the clutch, not any more than doing hard launches or burning through gears. The thing i like to do is have her sit as close to me as possible so more weight will be on the center of the bike rather than on the rear tire. be careful with chain tension also, if you have it dialed in for you than look at it when both of you are on and make sure it isnt too tight. that would kill the final drive of the transmission
that's an excellent point about the chain tension. But with this taken care of, the powertrain (engine, tranny, clutch) won't take a hit correct?

Originally Posted by revilingfool
i bet you can go over the limit with no problems, you just are going to lose handling etc.

perhaps you might consider a 1000rr, it would help a lot with braking and give you a little more go with the extra weight.
the '10 1000rr is my next bike for sure, but in 2 years time.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

had no issues with my 2000 F4 riding 2up, still would leave99% of the cars on the road in its dust!!!!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 PM

thanks, appreciate the replies

Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM

I would not worry about it man

Old 03-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Listed Max Capacity is usually well under the Actual Max Capacity.

Everything that has a max capacity rating is over-engineered to take more, usually double the listed capacity. Cause imagine how many bridges would be in the water if the actual capacity = what was printer on the signs

Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 PM

yea I guess in the bigger picture, an extra 20-30lbs shouldn't do much. I got curious about this and researched a little bit. The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (combined weight of bike, passengers, cargo etc) for the the F4i is 820lbs. The 03-04 600rr has a GVWR of 805lbs and lastly, the 07 600rr has a GVWR of 776. Suspension and structural integrity issues aside, all 3 powertrains have the same compression outputs, so if the f4i ENGINE/TRANNY can haul 820lbs then the 07 600rr ENGINE/TRANNY should be able too, right? And if not, then why not?

That's how I look at it.

Last edited by redlinernyc; 03-16-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:14 PM

I don't think you will have any problem at all. You should be just fine riding 2up. I am a heavier set guy as well and 2yr ago i had a 2000 F4. I rode 2up plenty and never had any problems at all. Of course it effects the handling, but the key is taking it easy and dont go over your limits, being safe, and have fun!!

Quick Reply: 2-up passenger riding and possible effects on the powertrain