General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Q's.. Front end noise and running temp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Q's.. Front end noise and running temp?

Hey guys... had two questions. Whats the average running temp of a 01 f4i? It typically ranges from 212 up to 235 when its warmed up and idling in traffic... I hear the fan kick on and it will go back down to 224 or so until i start riding and then its drops to the 215's or so. Should i be concerned or is this normal? Just wondering if i should do a coolant flush or not to worry about it.

Also, I just go the bike about a month ago and have ridden it very little. I didnt notice any noises or anything but right after i got the front and rear tires replaced, the mechanic stated he heard some front end noise comming from the tire and said it could be a bearing going out. Is this a big ordeal? Something i should worry about? It kinda sounds like something "dragging" and its not constant just speeds up with higher speeds. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Hi lost,
If your mechanic suspects the wheel bearings are on their way out then you should get them replaced sooner rather than later. It's quite likely that the dust seals have worn away and allowed dirt to enter the bearings. Over a period the bearings will disintegrate and need replacement.
It's no big deal and shouldn't require the bike to be in the workshop for more than half a day if you give them enough notice.
I've got to get mine doe soon.
Last week I had the wheel off to service the brakes and noticed that the dust deals were quite worn. I put some grease into the bearings before replacing the wheel but I have heard tell tale noises coming from down there from time to time.
How many miles on your bike? Let us know how much they charge you.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:13 PM
I ♥ CBRF

Running temps are normal. Since the bike is new to you I would flush the fluids anyways...Brake, oil, radi, etc.

Bearings should be fine unless bike has been outside all the time. Sounds like they may have lost your spacer when putting the tire back on....check it out before you need a new swingarm.

How may miles?

Old 02-23-2010, 02:14 PM

PS,
your running temperatures sound perfectly normal. When you're riding, especially at speed the temperature will drop considerably compared to stop start town driving.
Fret not, just make sure you keep an eye on the coolant level every couple of weeks or so and check hose ends for signs of weeping.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Streetdemon
Running temps are normal. Since the bike is new to you I would flush the fluids anyways...Brake, oil, radi, etc.

Bearings should be fine unless bike has been outside all the time. Sounds like they may have lost your spacer when putting the tire back on....check it out before you need a new swingarm.

How may miles?
Um..... Street.....

If they'd lost the spacer I think he'd have lost the wheel by now. Applying the brakes would have been an interesting experience too.
Didn't he say front end noise?
Not sure I'd call the swing arm exactly front end.

Sorry mate, just questioning my own sanity out loud. I've got a bad cold and feeling a bit senile tonight.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 PM

20k miles on the bike. i prob will go ahead and flush the radiatior, just not as soon as i was going to. Bike week this weekend and daytona is an hour away. The front end noise is really irritating though. Ill have to get the mechanic to check it out... Thanks a bunch guys!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I ♥ CBRF

Originally Posted by HenryM
Um..... Street.....

If they'd lost the spacer I think he'd have lost the wheel by now. Applying the brakes would have been an interesting experience too.
Didn't he say front end noise?
Not sure I'd call the swing arm exactly front end.

Sorry mate, just questioning my own sanity out loud. I've got a bad cold and feeling a bit senile tonight.
LOL...your right....he did say front.

Speaking to lost rear spacer from experience....Don't lose the rim but sprocket nuts eat the swing arm. $400 fix for a DIY

Old 02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Flushing your radiator is a easy. Just use distilled water to flush. Fill w/ Honda 50/50 mix.

If bearings are your problem, the noise will only get worse til replaced, not to mention safety concern. Yep, go ahead & replace.

Good luck.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM

I know this is an old thread. But I'm having a similar problem, except is started right after I changed out my front brake pads. Could it be that I perhaps forgot on of the clippy things that go behind the pads? I think it sounds more like the pads rubbing the disc, and it gets a little louder if I press the brakes. Kinda scared to ride like this

Just looking for advice on how to diagnose whether it's my brakes or the wheel bearing before I give it and take it to the bike shop.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by cbr_954
I know this is an old thread. But I'm having a similar problem, except is started right after I changed out my front brake pads. Could it be that I perhaps forgot on of the clippy things that go behind the pads? I think it sounds more like the pads rubbing the disc, and it gets a little louder if I press the brakes. Kinda scared to ride like this

Just looking for advice on how to diagnose whether it's my brakes or the wheel bearing before I give it and take it to the bike shop.
what exactly does your noise sound like? hum, metal scraping, or just the pad dragging a little? since it started right after you changed the brake pads, its has to be something with that. new pads do rub on the rotor a LITTLE, until the get fully seated to the rotor and the surfaces mate.

demon

Quick Reply: 2 Q's.. Front end noise and running temp?