General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Honda CBR 600F4 charging issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Honda CBR 600F4 charging issues

New to the forum. I have have had my bike a little over a year, put 5k on it in that time, today I have had my 3rd break down...i believe its the regulator/rectifier again but not sure why I keep popping them. Bike has an led tail light kit. I have to double check the ground but looking for advice.
Question is...What would be burning up these regulators...2 Oem units and one Ebay unit.
Thanks for your help...I'm more of a commuter verses joy rider so I want to figure out problem asap...
Ride ON!!

Old 05-09-2017, 08:56 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you tested the stator or done any other troubleshooting? How do you know the regulator is failing?

What is happening to the bike? A" break down" doesn't necessarily mean a charging issue....

Old 05-09-2017, 09:54 PM

I will try figuring out how to test the stater.
Symptoms have been been a recurrent battery charging issue, which swapping the R/R has remedied...at least for a period of time...
Battery currently not charging at throttle.
While a bike continue to run when removing the battery terminals?
I have done this test on vehicles to test alternators...
Batter is aftermarket but holds a charge after charging...symptoms point to something else.
I will check the diodes on R/R...but it seems like th stator is the next thing to test.
Thanks for advice. Will let you know what I find.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:23 AM

I will try to figure out how to test stator tonight.
I originally tested the diodes on the the old R/R which should fault, after it was replaced things worked well. Not sure if my stator has been slowly dying which works better when there is a new fresh R/R?? While having volt meter on battery last night, not getting any jump in voltage while revving bike, like it had before when I replaced R/R one month ago.
Do you know if these bikes are supposed to run with the battery disconnected? I have don't this test many times on vehicles while testing the alternator.
Thanks!!

Old 05-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This might help you

Attached Files
Old 05-10-2017, 07:22 PM

Thank you CaBaRet for the flow chart. I need to print this off and do some of the tests.
Earlier I unplugged the stater and checked some of the alternating current coming out of the three prongs. Prongs are kind of in the shape of two eye and a mouth :| With the bike running at 3.5k rpm, 15vac was recorded out of each prong which I believe is about right.
So back to the R/R.
Does anybody know the sequence of test R/R diodes? It looks like this 1- 2- 3-
4- 5-
With multimeter on diode and ground probe on4...positive on 1 =1030
" " 2=no reading
" " 3=no reading
With multimeter on diode and positive probe on4...negative on 1,2,3=no reading

With the same test with my old R/R that I replaced last month...that I believed was the culprite.
Negative probe on 4 and positive on 1=5.84
" " 2=5.40
" " 3=5.60...Not sure if I am doing this correct?

I plugged the old R/R back in was getting charging at 14v at the bat while reving??

I didn't check the ground...I believe it on the starter. Not sure of next steps...more testing.
My battery is a walmart one but it does seem to hold charge just fine...I guess I could bring it to napa to see if they could test it just to rule it out.
Rolling in the cage=boring commute...i do have to say it was nice and warm though

Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 PM

Does anyone know if these bikes should run (off the spark solely from the stator). With the bike running it shuts off when I take off a terminal...is this normal or does it point to the stator. Trying to limit the variable while problem solving?
Thanks

Old 05-11-2017, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi the stator is solely producing AC volts to the regulator to change to DC volts for charging the battery, its not a good idea to take a connection off the battery while the engine is running, take a look at this sheet for the testing of the R/R

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fault finding 3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf (45.4 KB, 134 views)
Old 05-21-2017, 06:53 PM

Update
So I checked the voltage coming out of the 3 leads at stator and they each showed 50v, which is apparently within speck
I had battery tested and advanced auto reported that there was a dead cell(I've never been so happy to have a dead battery)...I figured at the same time I would purchase an after market R/R from regulatorrectofier.com. I threw both of them in tested the voltage at the battery and all seemed well.
I have driven bike about 150 miles this week this past week and I thought I would test the voltage at the battery just to see if the voltage was the same.
It was not...Im getting 16-18v while revving which seems way high...at idle its perfect around 13v. I have emailed R/R.com back to see what they have to say.
To make matters more confusing, while testing an old Ebay RR...the voltage was right at 13.5 on rev...which seems to be the sweet spot.
Question...is pointing to a short...I plan to check the ground, however I feel like the between the two R/R i have both should be throwing wonky numbers if there was short...only the new beefy one is reflecting an overcharge.
Any advice or insight would be much appreciated!!
Thank you!!

Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Sounds like your new r/r is a POS.

Quick Reply: 1999 Honda CBR 600F4 charging issues