General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1989 CBR 600 Hurricane not starting

Old 05-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 CBR 600 Hurricane not starting

So there are two noticable issues with my bike, however i am unsure if they are related. First off the bike won't start, lights come on but when I push the starter the headlight dims. no cranking only the vacuum for the fuel turns on. not sure what the problem was because it worked yesterday.

Also the petcock is leaking fuel, i think its loose or needs a new gasket, its leaking from the part that spins.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ERNIESCBR
So there are two noticable issues with my bike, however i am unsure if they are related. First off the bike won't start, lights come on but when I push the starter the headlight dims. no cranking only the vacuum for the fuel turns on. not sure what the problem was because it worked yesterday.

Also the petcock is leaking fuel, i think its loose or needs a new gasket, its leaking from the part that spins.

Thanks in advance.

try to boost the battery to ur car batt, am sure its gonna work

Old 05-30-2009, 02:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try to boost the battery to ur car batt, am sure its gonna work
Just make sure if you go this route, not to have your car running. The charging systems are different and you could fry your bikes electrical system.

The best course of action is to trickle charge the battery with a low 1 or 2 amp charge.

I would push start the bike and get a volt meter and test the charging system. If the charging system checks out ok, take your battery and have it load tested. If that checks out ok, you may have a starter relay issue. If you want to test the relay, you jump the relay and see if the bike starts. Be very careful here as it will produce an arc and spark a little. Also, you could potentially weld whatever your using to jump across the leads. This is kind of a redneck way of doing it, but it will tell you if the starter is good.

as for the petcock, it sounds like you need a rebuild kit.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:31 PM

Squid is right don't fry your system. Trickle charger is a good investment.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:00 AM

no worry about 4 stroke because they need a lot of power to start the motor, i forgot to mention that once ur bike start in a second then u should unplugged the cable and let bike running for 15 minutes.( use ur head all the time )