General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100W Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100W Bulbs

Hey Guys/Gals,
I was wondering if any of you were running, or knew anyone who was running 100W bulbs in your stockheadlights. I just bought some aftermarket ones and I didnt even pay attention to the wattage, and was brought to my attention by another member. Does anyone know what thismay do to the housing or wires, or is anyone running them nd had problems, or has verything been okay? Thanks, Nick

Old 10-19-2006, 01:11 AM
Default RE: 100W Bulbs

100W could overheat and either fry your wiring harness or melt your housing. The proper bulbs should be 12V 55W.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:59 AM

If they are H4 bulbs, they are usually 55 low beam and 100 high. So they only draw the big juice when on high. If they are H7 bulbs, they are 100 watt period. You can install them in your high beam light, but may be too bright for the low beam. If you are worried about the wiring, you should install a relay. The how-to is described in several threads.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:23 AM

ORIGINAL: slowpoke

If they are H4 bulbs, they are usually 55 low beam and 100 high. So they only draw the big juice when on high. If they are H7 bulbs, they are 100 watt period. You can install them in your high beam light, but may be too bright for the low beam. If you are worried about the wiring, you should install a relay. The how-to is described in several threads.
Gonna have to call you out on this one. Unless this H4 bulb you're talking about is a dual filament bulb, you're not gonna get 55 on low and 100 on high, that's impossible. As for H7 being 100W period, that's wrong too. I have H7 12V 55W bulbs in my bike. And finally, about installing in your high beam/low beam light like it makes a difference, it doesn't. Both headlights are the same for the 600RR, the high beam simply has it's reflector pointed higher and the low beam (as you can probably guess) has it's reflector lower. However you can adjust them higher or lower. I run my bike with my highbeams on all the time and have the reflectors level with each other. No problems with my bulbs here whatsever, but I have the proper type of bulb.

So to clarify, I wouldn't risk running the 100W in your bike for my previous mentioned reasons. This issue has been brought up before so you can do a search and hear other peoples opinions and expertise on the matter. See if you can exchange them for the proper bulbs for your bike or just buy the proper ones. Cheaper than getting a new headlight assembly.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:25 AM

spend the money and get the better bulbs like silvania silver stars. They use better gases to get that bright white effect or blue effect while keeping the volt and wattage down so not to damage everything.

Old 10-19-2006, 03:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... Let there be light !!!!!!!!!!! Or, to smoke... or, not to smoke !!!!!!!!
Ok, on my 84 vf1000... 80/ 120 !!!!!!!! Fantastic ilumination!!!!!!!! ( do NOT "peek" into your headlight, unless you are Hindu !!!!!) Heard all the story's... had to try it anyway... Ripp'n, put that hatchet down!!!!!... you'll poke your eye out !!!!!!!!! (slow learner )
So... didn't fry anything, single bulb-duel filiment. Actualy could have reduced the work on the rectifire's job... by using exsess juice to fire this flame thrower.( dumb w/o checking loads, wire gauge rate'n)
DRAWBACKS... In field testing !!!!!!!! GOODBYE, assorted wire'n parts= long walk home ( lots of time to say, WHAT was I think'n!!!!!!) Talk to a seasoned honda dealer/ tech,( say'n " hypetheticaly"... or he may not answer your Q)
Another... EVERYBODY HATES ME !!!!!!!! Every car, truck, ufo, I passed, come'n or go'n... flashed me!!!!!!!!! Not that sissy stuff... blink blink, but that hi beam on, full speed ahead, unwavering "I want to kill you, You a** ****" stuff !!!!!!!!!! This 80/120 was impossible to be social w/, even on "low". High beam... lit up road reflectors, a mile++ ahead. People actualy slightly lost control of there, rig slightly, as they looked around for the income'n aircraft... dangerous for me and them. Now... your all alone, Lightshow !!!!!!!! oopps, car come'n... He's already seen you, even over a hill ( possible ufo sighting) so you " dim 'em" Awe shoot, it's a cop, he's seen me dim already( dead give away)... but he's rapidly become'n blind!!!!!!! Hope he dosen't notice !!!!!!!!! Big reason these are for " off road" only... they are really too BRIGHT, for the road. I would get flashed in the middle of corners, by oncome'n cars... the Last place, you want to be blinded. I know they were think'n the same thing. Have'n a 100/100 dual bulb set up... might get ya killed !!!!!!!

SO... PIA, that fantastic maker of fantastic pyrometric devices !!!!!!! Theese bulbs, PUT OUT, but are road friendly!!!!!!!! Not cheap... but you get what you pay for. Sil's are ok, but there a lower quality bulb, comparably.
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 10-19-2006, 07:08 AM

100w could fry your harness... if you build yourself a relay harness, you could use it, presuming it is not too hot to melt your housing for extended periods. Here is the harness diagram... assuming you want to do high and low beam. The harnesses are identical for high and low beam, so use one, or use two, doesn't matter.

However, Halogens which are untinted are your best bet, so I hope these are not tinted blue. I have seen 100w tinted bulbs which were dimmer than their OEM 55w counterparts.

Halogen bulbs use a filament, any "xenon" gas that you hear about is nonsense, the gas has no effect on the filament except to keep it from burning up. The whole scam about having different gases inside a halogen bulb is bogus. Only HID bulbs have "gas" and really it's not a gas, but a salt/dust which becomes vaporized. These "gases" really are compressed, and have an effect on the light output, however they have no effect on it getting hotter. HID bulbs are actually cooler burning than Halogens, and also 3 times as efficient.

Halogen bulbs put out 20 lumens per watt. Typical 55watt bulbs put out about 1100 lumens. a 100watt bulb would put out about 2000 lumens. If you have blue tinted, remove 30% of your light output. So sylvania silverstars which are 55watts put out about 700 lumens. They're not that good of a bulb.

Also, the higher the wattage of a halogen bulb, the lifespan decreases. So a 55watt bulb is 800-1000 hours, a 75watt bulb is 400-600 hours, and a 100watt may be 200-300 hours... you pay alot, and you get very little in return for halogen bulbs. They are EXTREMELY inefficient. They're better hand warmers than light producers.

HIDs put out 100 lumens per watt. The typical HID bulb is 35 watts. You get 3500 lumens out of an OEM 4300k bulb. They take less power ONCE they've booted up. Here is a pic of what an HID bulb does as it boots up:

Name:  30330_12mg.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  72.3 KB

You can see that for a split second it takes up to 12amps. The danger is not necessarily the wiring as it's such a short period, but the switches which internally may arc over time from such a high current draw. You should use a harness straight from the battery with 16 or 14 gauge wire. Any higher gauge and it's a waste. But typical car 18 gauge wire won't cut it.

We are in luck. Honda has given us the H7 bulb. That means we can put a washer ~10$ on an OEM D2S bulb, and plop it in out reflectors, and get HIDs. That means for 75$ for a ballast, and 30$ for a bulb, plus 10$ for the adapters, and ~10$ for the harness parts, you can get 3500 lumens. ~130$ Here are some examples of the adapters so you can see what I mean.

I will put in a plug here for my friend Mike on ebay, aka Akinaboy. He sells the parts, and may give you a small discount if you mention I sent you, if you are interested. Since I got my bike, I'd be happy to help anyone figure out the wiring harness etc... There are two big sellers of OEM HID equipment on ebay, my friend Mike, and Integra9006HID. I've bought from both, but have developed a relationship with Mike over the years. I have worked with him to get people the best kits together for the cheapest possible. *Mods if this is against the rules, I apologize and will remove it. I am not selling anything myself, just showing where to get said parts*

Name:  h7adapters1.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  20.4 KB
Name:  h7adapters2.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  20.5 KB

Name:  bulbin.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  36.3 KB

Did I mention HIDs last 2000 hours before they reach their 50% output levels? And cost ~30$ to replace? Typical 55watt bulbs last 800-1000

Old 10-19-2006, 08:58 AM

No, these bulbs were aweome when it came to giving off lights, and they werent dim either. But I guess I will have to take them out after I get home tonight because I really do not want to fry up all my stuff, and It would proabably cost me just as much to build ^^^^ as it would to buy 55W bulbs. Thanks for all your help guys!!

PS Heres what they looked like. ITs inside, but it still kinda shows

[IMG]
Name:  Picture028resizehl-1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  22.5 KB[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2006, 03:48 PM

ORIGINAL: rippn

Hmmm... Let there be light !!!!!!!!!!! Or, to smoke... or, not to smoke !!!!!!!!
Ok, on my 84 vf1000... 80/ 120 !!!!!!!! Fantastic ilumination!!!!!!!! ( do NOT "peek" into your headlight, unless you are Hindu !!!!!) Heard all the story's... had to try it anyway... Ripp'n, put that hatchet down!!!!!... you'll poke your eye out !!!!!!!!! (slow learner )
So... didn't fry anything, single bulb-duel filiment. Actualy could have reduced the work on the rectifire's job... by using exsess juice to fire this flame thrower.( dumb w/o checking loads, wire gauge rate'n)
DRAWBACKS... In field testing !!!!!!!! GOODBYE, assorted wire'n parts= long walk home ( lots of time to say, WHAT was I think'n!!!!!!) Talk to a seasoned honda dealer/ tech,( say'n " hypetheticaly"... or he may not answer your Q)
Another... EVERYBODY HATES ME !!!!!!!! Every car, truck, ufo, I passed, come'n or go'n... flashed me!!!!!!!!! Not that sissy stuff... blink blink, but that hi beam on, full speed ahead, unwavering "I want to kill you, You a** ****" stuff !!!!!!!!!! This 80/120 was impossible to be social w/, even on "low". High beam... lit up road reflectors, a mile++ ahead. People actualy slightly lost control of there, rig slightly, as they looked around for the income'n aircraft... dangerous for me and them. Now... your all alone, Lightshow !!!!!!!! oopps, car come'n... He's already seen you, even over a hill ( possible ufo sighting) so you " dim 'em" Awe shoot, it's a cop, he's seen me dim already( dead give away)... but he's rapidly become'n blind!!!!!!! Hope he dosen't notice !!!!!!!!! Big reason these are for " off road" only... they are really too BRIGHT, for the road. I would get flashed in the middle of corners, by oncome'n cars... the Last place, you want to be blinded. I know they were think'n the same thing. Have'n a 100/100 dual bulb set up... might get ya killed !!!!!!!

SO... PIA, that fantastic maker of fantastic pyrometric devices !!!!!!! Theese bulbs, PUT OUT, but are road friendly!!!!!!!! Not cheap... but you get what you pay for. Sil's are ok, but there a lower quality bulb, comparably.
Clean and free, Ripp'n
[sm=WTFsgign.gif] Ripp'n, the only thing I understood was your last paragraph

Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 PM

Thats what I was thinking, but I just thought that I was missing something.

Quick Reply: 100W Bulbs