CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/)
-   -   1000rr Clutch Slip (https://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/1000rr-clutch-slip-158279/)

CBR-John 10-01-2018 09:13 AM

1000rr Clutch Slip

Hi,

I have a 1000rr 2004 with a hydraulic clutch. I bought it last winter as a project bike. I got it cleaned up and replaced several parts on the bike and did all the standard maintenance things; fluids and oils and checks.

My first ride was great but when I got used to it and gave it some power it would slip around 10000rpms in 3rd and up. I replaced the fibers and plates and still about the same. I then rebuilt the master and slave cylinder; both seem to be working normal and no change to slipping. Next, I replaced the hose. So, basically the hydraulic side should be good. During all this I noticed a slight bend in the lifter rod; so I replaced this. After the lifter rod, the bike slips in any gear under anything more than light acceleration. So, now I think Im just guessing and wasting time and money. The last item I replaced was the pressure plate which it still slips like crazy. Im a novice mechanic so be gentle.
Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thank you,
John

74demon 10-01-2018 09:52 AM

Did you replace the springs? I'm assuming you tightened them down . They are what keeps pressure on the plates so the power can transmit through the transmission. If they are weak, it will slip.

Also, is it all adjusted properly? If things are too tight, the clutch will always be a little disengaged.

CBR-John 10-01-2018 10:18 AM

Oops. Yes springs were replaced too. I left that out. Torqued to service manual specs. Im not sure what can be adjusted? I can't find anything in the manual or forums about adjusting hydraulic clutch on this year CBR. I checked by the lever but nothing I see can be adjusted. Is the adjustment found in a specific spot?

CBR-John 10-02-2018 10:32 AM

Im thinking it may be the slave getting hung up. What amount of wear is allowed on the piston and cylinder?

CBR-John 10-03-2018 08:58 AM

I took apart the slave and master and went over them again. Slave piston moves freely; slight scoring from what I assume from the bent lifter rod and crud. Master seemed to be just fine too. Put it back together and still slips with anything more than light throttle in any gear.
Does anyone have a suggestion on what I could try? If checking one thing may lead to the problem? I don't know what else to check at this point.
Thank you
John

74demon 10-03-2018 10:02 AM

Things that cause a clutch to slip:

1. Weak spring pressure
2. Plates installed improperly or worn out
3. Something holding clutch partially released.

CBR-John 10-03-2018 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1317803)
Things that cause a clutch to slip:

1. Weak spring pressure
2. Plates installed improperly or worn out
3. Something holding clutch partially released.

Thank you Demon
So I have tried new plates(steel and friction), new springs, new hose, rebuilt slave and master, new pressure plate. I also spent many hours on plate placement direction(I also took the clutch cover back off to re-examine and verify they are correct. I did my clutch on my 06 VFR 800 and had no issues at all. The service manuals are near exact.
Would the bent lifter rod indicate something?

74demon 10-03-2018 03:06 PM

Is it binding? Amd how did it get bent?

CBR-John 10-03-2018 03:42 PM

It doesn't seem to be binding. But I replaced it with a new rod and now slips to high heaven. It was bent assumably from the previous owner. With the clutch cover off it looks to be retracting fully

CBR-John 12-01-2018 05:31 AM

Ive been working 70 hour weeks so not much time with the bike. Last weekend I replaced the inner hub. This is the last part of the clutch, besides the basket,that is replaced with new parts. Took it for a ride last night and was barely engaging; after a half of block it I could barely creep it forward. Any thoughts on what to do next is appreciated. Possibly, investigate the hydraulic side some more?
Thank you