General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 cbr600rr...Slow starting when warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 cbr600rr...Slow starting when warm

Over the past month or two my 2006 cbr600rr has been experiencing slow starts after being ridden up to normal running temp. It has ALWAYS started up fine when cold and had, up until last night, always started when warm, but sounded like it was barely turning over. once it did start, the engine sounds/performs just fine and runs at normal temperatures. now about what happened last night...

ok i start the bike up after clocking out from work (i live about 20-25 minutes from work) it was about 9 pm and the temp outside was still pretty warm 80's i'm sure... it started right up and i waited for it to warm up (like i always do) it hit 97 degrees F so i headed home.... i noticed that i could prolly use some gas on the way home so about 15-20 minutes into the ride i stopped and filled up the tank... right after i grabbed the receipt from the pump i tried to re-start the bike and it sounded like the starter only got turned once, slowly... then stopped...the engine did not start... all the lights and stuff came on bright as normal it seemed... the engine temp was around 180-190 F or so... i turned the key back to the off position and considered waiting a few min. then trying it again... i waited about 2 minutes and tried again... the starter didn't turn at all but did sound like it had clicked (ya know like that bumping noise you hear when it's trying to go but there's not enough power to turn it....) so i called my bro at home to bring some jumper cables and some tools so i could remove the seat yadda yadda... i waited about 15-20 minutes for him to arrive... once i got the seat off, i cleaned and tightened/reconnected the leads to the battery to rule out a problem like loose/bad connections...tried to start it one more time (just to see if it had cooled enough to start... temp was still reading in the 160's... engine didn't start of course BUT i did notice if i held the start button down long enough, there was a noise coming from what seemed to be behind the battery... sounded like a fast clicking/buzzing sound)
... ANYWAY... i connect the jumper cables up to my bro's running car and the bike started RIGHT away...!!!

so i figure... the battery's the problem (i wish i had my multimeter with me to test the batt. voltage when it wouldn't start)... so i ride it home (about ten minutes of riding) and turn the bike off... then i wait a couple min. and attempt to re-start it (i was almost HOPING it wouldn't start again so i could troubleshoot and figure out the problem at home) BUT it started right up again!!! so i was like WTF!!!! then i disconnected the battery and pulled it out of the bike and tested the voltage with a multimeter and it read between 12.6 and 12.7 volts... so, um i figure that's not the problem now.... i even put the battery back in and started it AGAIN and revved the engine while testing the voltage to make sure it was charging properly... it did get up around 13 then 14 volts while revving the engine...

so i have no idea now what the problem is.... unless the battery is/was just at the hairy edge of being to weak to re-start the bike when i tried to leave the gas station yesterday... but still, like i said in the beginning, the bike has been experiencing slower than normal starts after being ridden for a while and warmed up...

please help!! sorry the msg so long, i just wanted to be as detailed as possible

-Andrew

Old 08-16-2007, 01:30 PM
Banned
Default RE: '06 cbr600rr...Slow starting when warm

Static voltage isn't a good measure. The battery may not be able to make cranking amps at a given voltage. My guess is the battery, get it tested at autozone or some other parts house. If it were an older bike, I'd say check grounds or maybe even the starter, but I'd just blame it on a ****ty gook battery for now.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 PM

Glad to see that nothing happened to your bike by jump starting it with a car. Generally a pretty bad idea.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:21 PM

That's how i knew i had a bad battery...it wouldn't start after i had ridden it a while. I'd charge it, would start up fine, would go somewhere and it would leave me stranded. Did that two times then replaced the battery and it's been fine ever since. My .02c says it's the battery...even though it checks out on your voltmeter. (I've had Autozone test a battery for me, told me it was fine...but once i replaced it the problem went away. These symptoms are a better indicator than voltage, imo.)

Old 08-17-2007, 02:35 PM

this happened to me on my '03 cbr600rr a few times, the other day it left me stranded when i took it to deleliver something at work because i just got it and needed an excuse to go for a ride. i ended up haveing to push start it, when i got back to my shop and checked it with a volt metter and the battery checked out fine. a guy I work with said it could be the starter soleniod being bad and acting up when hot, but it has not givin me any trouble for a few days.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 PM

I didn't want to start a new thread so since my question is sort of dealing with the same topic so I'm asking here. Mods forgive me if this is bad. Traipse forgive the threadjack.

Here's my start issue. Same thing as traipse mentioned, all is well till I shut it down. When I go to start it it cranks fine, starts but dies right away unless I give it a bit of throttle (then it runs normally). Normally I don't have to give it gas at all once it's warm, just push the button and go. I've noticed that this happens a bit more on warmer days (85-95f). I also do not have the plastic heat shield with the rubber flap that goes under the coils. Could it just be the coils get are getting a little warm?

To further threadjack. How the heck does that plastic heat shield go in. I got one off evilbay and tried to put it on. Do I have to take all the airbox stuff and throttle cables and coils off or is there an easier way I'm not seeing?